More than a dozen Las Vegas casinos cleared to operate at 100% capacity
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Three of the biggest casino operators in Nevada — MGM Resorts International, Caesars Entertainment and Station Casinos — were all approved to return to full casino capacity with no social distancing restrictions. The news, announced Wednesday, means 24 casinos across the valley can now immediately resume operating at 100% capacity.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news!
The decision impacts some of the biggest and most popular resorts in Vegas. MGM properties returning to pre-pandemic casino operations include:
- Bellagio Resort & Casino
- ARIA Resort & Casino
- MGM Grand Hotel & Casino
- Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino
- Park MGM
- The Mirage Hotel & Casino
- New York-New York Hotel & Casino
- Luxor Hotel and Casino
- Excalibur Hotel & Casino
As for Caesars, its iconic Caesars Palace, Bally’s, the Flamingo and the Paris Las Vegas are among its Strip resorts that can now return to pre-pandemic operations.
The Nevada Gaming Control Board issued the waivers based on the three casino groups’ efforts to get their workforce vaccinated.
“This is yet another major milestone in Las Vegas’ incredible recovery and a testament to the importance of vaccination in the effort to fully reopen our community,” MGM Resorts CEO Bill Hornbuckle said in a statement. “We will continue working to vaccinate as many people as possible and remain vigilant with health and safety protocols designed to protect our employees, guests and community.”
MGM Resorts set up a free on-site vaccine clinic at its Mandalay Bay Convention Center, as well as pop-up clinics at its Las Vegas properties, to vaccinate thousands of workers, their families, third-party vendors and entertainers. Caesars also offered on-site vaccination events at its properties and provided incentives for employees to get the vaccine. Station Casinos, which focuses on attracting primarily local customers, has at least 80% of its staff at properties such as Red Rock Resort, Green Valley Ranch, Palace Station and Boulder Station with at least one dose of coronavirus vaccine.
“The more properties that come back to full capacity really signal an end to much of the pandemic for us,” said Amanda Belarmino, an assistant professor at UNLV’s college of hospitality.
Other casinos on the Vegas Strip — like the Wynn, Encore and Cosmopolitan — have already been allowed to resume gaming floor operations at full capacity after showing state officials that at least 80% of its staff have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
While the casinos can go back to full capacity, there are still health restrictions visitors must follow outside the resorts. Clark County’s 80% occupancy restrictions and 3-feet social distancing policies remain in place outside the casinos, in areas such as the resorts’ restaurants, pools and other nongaming venues. The state’s mask mandates also remain in place throughout the properties.
Featured image by: Aaron Black/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees