This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Yesterday Delta revealed mileage earnings for flights on its new joint-venture partner, Korean Air. Now we have even more good news about the integration of the two carriers.
Delta announced that you will be able to use Global Upgrade Certificates on Korean. This is similar to how you can use Global Upgrades and even SkyMiles to bump yourself up on Delta’s other joint venture partner Virgin Atlantic. Global Upgrade Certificates can also be redeemed on select Air France, KLM and Aeromexico flights.
Global Upgrade certificates are available as a choice benefit for Delta Diamond Medallions, the carrier’s highest elite tier.
Using a global upgrade can be difficult, even on Delta itself. When using them on Korean, you’ll be restricted to purchasing Y, B and M fare classes which usually means you’ll have to pay a pretty penny for an upgradable ticket. Still, with the high quality of Korean’s business class, it could be worth redeeming a certificate on the carrier.
Upgrades have to be confirmed at least 24 hours prior to departure, and you unfortunately can’t put yourself on the waitlist. And upgrading to first class isn’t an option either.
H/T: One Mile At A Time
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees