You Can Now Use Delta SkyMiles to Upgrade Virgin Atlantic Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta SkyMiles just became a little more useful, as Delta has announced that you’ll now be able to use miles to upgrade your seat on Virgin Atlantic flights.
Delta and Virgin Atlantic formed a transatlantic joint venture in 2014,so there have been some benefits when travelers with status travel on the airlines, as Diamond Medallion members have been able to use Global upgrades on Virgin Atlantic.
Now SkyMiles members will be able to use miles to upgrade from a paid on ticket on Delta-marketed, Virgin Atlantic operated flights between the US and UK. There are two upgrade options for flyers according to Delta:
- Upgrade from a purchased Virgin Atlantic Economy ticket to Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy or Virgin Atlantic Upper Class
- Upgrade from a purchased Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy ticket to Virgin Atlantic Upper Class
Delta also said that upgrades are only available on purchased economy tickets with the Y, B, M, H, Q, or K fare class while premium economy tickets must have the P, A, or G fare class.
Now this might not be the best deal or way to use your SkyMiles. Unfortunately Delta doesn’t publish an award chart or upgrade costs. According to a 2015 report from TPG, upgrading on US to Europe routes will cost you 60,000 SkyMiles on Y/B/M fares and 80,000 miles on S/H/Q/K fares one-way.
If these are the correct numbers (we’ve reached out to Delta for comment) then it’s a pretty terrible deal to upgrade, since premium economy runs 55,000 SkyMiles +$5.60 one-way and Virgin Upper Class is 85,000 miles +$5.60 one-way. Basically, you’re only saving 5,000 miles by upgrading vs. booking an award outright, but you’ve already paid for a full-fare ticket — however, it’s possible that this move is targeted at business travelers whose employers purchase full-fare tickets, and then they can use their own miles to upgrade if they so choose.
Upgrades must be completed 24 hours before departure and you’ll have to call in to a SkyMiles representative to find out the actual pricing and if there’s availability (at 1-800-323-2323 for SkyMiles members or Medallion members can call through their dedicated phone line).
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.