This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Long regarded as one of the least appealing airports in the world, New York’s aging LaGuardia (LGA) terminal buildings have been in desperate need of replacement for years.
Vice President Joe Biden even once described LGA as something you might find “in a third-world country.” But part of the airport finally completed a much-needed transformation at the end of 2018, when Terminal B’s fantastic new Eastern Concourse opened to the public with flights opened by Air Canada, American Airlines and Southwest. One notable tenant has been absent, though: United Airlines.
Now, United has shared plans to finally move its operations to the Eastern Concourse on June 2. A new United Club will open then as well, located just across from the new Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge, which opened in December 2018.
While United Club access requires a day pass or membership, or a connection to a long-haul international flight (for certain customers, as detailed here), United Gold members and above can access the Air Canada lounge free of charge with a same-day Star Alliance boarding pass.
It’s possible all United flights will operate from gates 40 to 59 beginning on June 2. But, for the time being, I’d recommend checking your flight status to confirm your gate assignment before venturing over to the Eastern Concourse. If you clear security but your particular flight lags the June 2 switch-over, you may face a long walk to get back to United’s other gate area within Terminal B.
Featured photo by Max Prosperi for The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees