This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well this one really came out of left field. United Airlines just announced plans to begin nonstop service from its Dulles hub in Washington, DC (IAD) to Tel Aviv (TLV), launching May 22, 2019.
The new flight will be operated by a 777-200ER with the following schedule:
- UA72 Washington, DC (IAD) 10:30pm Departure → Tel Aviv (TLV) 4:30pm (+1) Arrival (Wed, Fri, Sun)
- UA73 Tel Aviv (TLV) 12:20am Departure → Washington, DC (IAD) 5:50am Arrival (Tues, Fri, Sun)
IAD-TLV is now available to book, with paid economy fares starting at $875 round-trip, and business class available from $3,640.
Award availability is outstanding as well — saver economy appears to be wide open on every date, and business-class saver awards are available on every flight but the May 22 inaugural.
Currently, the flight is assigned to a three-cabin 777-200ER with United’s least desirable 2-4-2 business class, but roomy 3-3-3 seating in economy.
The first-class cabin is not available to book, and hopefully the airline will shift to a retrofitted 777-200 with the new 1-2-1 Polaris seating before the inaugural in May.
Economy passengers should hope for the old arrangement, though, given that United’s retrofitted planes have 3-4-3 seating in coach.
This new route joins United’s existing Tel Aviv flights, departing twice daily from Newark (EWR) and once a day from the airline’s West Coast hub in San Francisco (SFO). United’s also planning to open a Polaris Lounge at Dulles, though a date has not yet been confirmed.
For more on United’s retrofitted 777-200, see:
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees