United is bringing back its new flagship Hawaii route next summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is embracing the island spirit next summer with renewed service on its flagship Hawaii route.
Over the weekend, the Chicago-based carrier extended the schedule for its newest long-haul route between Newark (EWR) and Maui (OGG). The nearly 11-hour flight will now operate between May 7, 2022, and Sept. 4, 2022, on up to five weekly frequencies.
The schedule extension was first seen in Cirium timetables and later confirmed by the airline with the following statement.
We know many customers enjoy Hawaiian vacations in the summer, and we’re happy to bring back our New York/Newark to Maui flight next summer.
This move is the latest in a series of boosts for the new United flight that first took off just four months ago on June 3.
Though the airline had first launched this market as a pandemic-era move to capture strong leisure demand, it seems that the airline has hit a home run with the 4,903-mile route. Assuming that demand continues at a strong pace, this new flight could become permanent, even after the pandemic subsides.
In addition to extending the schedule for the Newark to Maui route, United is also bringing back daily service between Washington Dulles (IAD) and Honolulu (HNL) this summer between June 3, 2022, and Sept. 6, 2022.
The airline had originally planned for once-weekly flights during the peak summer season, but that’s now been restored to daily service, which mirrors the airline’s summer schedule from before the pandemic.
The additional Hawaii flights are the latest in a big growth spurt for United’s long-haul network.
Last week, the carrier unveiled its largest-ever transatlantic expansion, with eight routes to five new destinations.
Additionally, the airline’s three limited-time long-haul routes that were first launched last summer to destinations open to vaccinated Americans (Croatia, Greece and Iceland) are coming back for another season.
With all these successful new routes, it’s perhaps no surprise that Ankit Gupta and Patrick Quayle, United’s two senior vice presidents in charge of the network, both received promotions earlier this month.
Gupta “has helped us execute network strategies that would ordinarily take years to develop in a matter of months,” while Quayle “continues to reshape our network in the midst of a radically different demand environment, making the most of rapidly changing economic and passenger trends,” wrote Andrew Nocella, the airline’s chief commercial officer, in a statement announcing the promotions.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees