Uber’s Testing a Big Change to Airport Pickups
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber wants to make airport pickups more efficient. With ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft becoming the preferred method of transportation for many travelers, plenty of airports have yet to fully adapt to Uber’s popularity. This has resulted in congestion on airport roadways and sometimes poorly marked or located pickup zones. Today, the ride-hailing company took a step in improving airport pickups with the launch of Uber PIN at Portland International Airport (PDX).
What Is Uber PIN and How Does It Work?
Uber PIN is a pilot program available only at Portland International Airport. The feature exclusively works with Uber’s economy service, UberX, and changes the way in which you hail your ride. Typically, riders launch the Uber app, select or locate a pickup zone, set their destinations, and finally, request their ride. Riders must wait at the pick-up zone for a few minutes as the driver makes their way to the rider.
Rather than requesting a ride and waiting for a driver to be assigned to you, Uber PIN allows riders to walk up to available drivers, share their code, and take that Uber to their destination.
At Portland International Airport riders will input their destinations, request a ride, and then be instructed to head out to the designated pickup zone. All riders will receive a six-digit personal identification pin. Once the rider arrives at the pickup area, they will join other riders in line. When they’re at the front of the queue they’ll hop in the next available Uber and share their code with their driver. Once the PIN has been entered into the driver app, the rider’s info will populate and the trip will begin.
Essentially, Uber is creating its own taxi stand-style pickup service. Lyft is currently testing a near identical feature at San Diego International airport.
Though this is the first time Uber PIN has been used at a major US airport, this isn’t the first time Uber has deployed the feature. Uber PIN was first piloted at Bangalore Airport (BLR) in India. The feature has previously been deployed at events that see large crowds including the Kentucky Derby in Louisville, KY, and a Formula 1 race in Australia.
For now, Uber PIN will only be deployed at Portland International Airport. However, Uber notes that the company sees potential opportunities at other major US airports. The ride-hailing service also noted that at some airports, Uber’s traditional airport pickup method will remain the most effective way to operate.
Featured image by Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.