Uber’s Testing a Big Change to Airport Pickups
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber wants to make airport pickups more efficient. With ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft becoming the preferred method of transportation for many travelers, plenty of airports have yet to fully adapt to Uber’s popularity. This has resulted in congestion on airport roadways and sometimes poorly marked or located pickup zones. Today, the ride-hailing company took a step in improving airport pickups with the launch of Uber PIN at Portland International Airport (PDX).
What Is Uber PIN and How Does It Work?
Uber PIN is a pilot program available only at Portland International Airport. The feature exclusively works with Uber’s economy service, UberX, and changes the way in which you hail your ride. Typically, riders launch the Uber app, select or locate a pickup zone, set their destinations, and finally, request their ride. Riders must wait at the pick-up zone for a few minutes as the driver makes their way to the rider.
Rather than requesting a ride and waiting for a driver to be assigned to you, Uber PIN allows riders to walk up to available drivers, share their code, and take that Uber to their destination.
At Portland International Airport riders will input their destinations, request a ride, and then be instructed to head out to the designated pickup zone. All riders will receive a six-digit personal identification pin. Once the rider arrives at the pickup area, they will join other riders in line. When they’re at the front of the queue they’ll hop in the next available Uber and share their code with their driver. Once the PIN has been entered into the driver app, the rider’s info will populate and the trip will begin.
Essentially, Uber is creating its own taxi stand-style pickup service. Lyft is currently testing a near identical feature at San Diego International airport.
Though this is the first time Uber PIN has been used at a major US airport, this isn’t the first time Uber has deployed the feature. Uber PIN was first piloted at Bangalore Airport (BLR) in India. The feature has previously been deployed at events that see large crowds including the Kentucky Derby in Louisville, KY, and a Formula 1 race in Australia.
For now, Uber PIN will only be deployed at Portland International Airport. However, Uber notes that the company sees potential opportunities at other major US airports. The ride-hailing service also noted that at some airports, Uber’s traditional airport pickup method will remain the most effective way to operate.
Featured image by Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees