Uber to Launch On-Demand Helicopter Service in New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s UberX, UberPool, UberXL, UberBlack and now Uber Copter. Uber Copter is Uber’s newest ride-hailing service, this time allowing users to book on-demand helicopter rides. Uber Copter will begin flights in New York City on July 9 to take passengers from Lower Manhattan to John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in just eight minutes.
Uber Copter will only be available to those with Platinum and Diamond status of the Uber Rewards loyalty program. Platinum members must have earned at least 2,500 points in a six-month period ($1,250 in UberX rides) and Diamond members at least 7,500 points in a six-month period ($3,750 in UberX rides). As daunting as this sounds, the Uber Rewards loyalty program also allows points earning on UberPool, UberXL and other car varieties as well as UberEats.
Customers can book the helicopter service directly through the app on-demand or up to five days prior. Uber Copter limits the ride to five people and will operate Monday through Friday during the afternoon rush hour. Before ordering, know that the helicopter ride only allows one personal bag and one carry-on with a 40-pound weight limit.
The average Uber Copter ride will cost between $200 and $225 per person, Nikhil Goel, Uber Elevate’s head of product, told the New York Times. Like regular Uber rides, the Uber Copter trips will also be subject to dynamic pricing, commonly referred to as “surge” pricing.
The service provides a car to take passengers to a heliport near the Staten Island Ferry Station in Downtown Manhattan to depart for JFK, where they will land near Terminal 8, and then another car will take them to their departure terminal. Uber predicts that the total time of transportation should be as little as 30 minutes (that’s only if you’re starting point is nearby the heliport).
This is the first real demonstration of Uber Elevate, which is the name for company’s flying car division, according a statement sent to TPG by Eric Allison, head of Uber Elevate.
Uber Copter will rival BLADE’s new Continuous service, which also offers helicopter services for $195 one way between Manhattan and JFK on weekdays from 7am to 7pm and Sundays from 2pm to 7pm. BLADE Continuous has also recently expanded service to New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International Airport and LaGuardia Airport in Queens. BLADE does not provide car service to the heliport as part of the $195 price tag, but you do get shuttled from the helipad at JFK to your terminal.
Similar to BLADE and Uber’s own asset-light model, Uber will not operate the helicopters themselves but contract with Heliflite, which also operates flights to Newark Liberty International Airport on behalf of United.
The Uber Rewards loyalty program counts the last sixth months of activity toward elite status as soon as you sign up, so you could be closer to an elite status than you may think. Next time you order an Uber, make sure to check how close you are to the next tier to possibly ride the Uber Copter soon.
Featured photo courtesy of Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees