Sticker shock: TWA Hotel has $50 per person fee, plus tax, to use that famous rooftop pool this summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A night at the TWA Hotel — one of TPG’s favorite spots for planespotting — getting more expensive, at least if you want to use the pool.
The JFK airport hotel will now charge guests up to $50 per person to make a reservation at its famous rooftop pool and observation deck, one of the signature attractions of the hotel.
The TWA Hotel tells TPG they first added a fee for paying guests to use the pool last summer, after adding a fee for non-guests the summer prior.
Reservations cost $25 per adult Mondays through Thursdays, according to a list of rates on the hotel’s website, and $50 per adult Friday through Sunday. Children ages 5-12 cost $20 every day, while a reservation does not appear to be required for children 4 and under. The hotel also adds sales tax.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
And it’s also on top of the so-called facility fee (plus taxes) of $17.94 per night per room.
There are more taxes and fees added onto your bill for the use of the pool.
A reservation gets you a window of just one hour and 45 minutes at the pool, and does not guarantee a poolside lounger, which are first-come-first-serve — that means you might end up at a table with an obstructed view of the airfield.
The reservation also does not include the price of food or drinks from the pool bar, which can get pricey quickly: cocktails start at $15, and most food options are $15 to $17. The bar also adds a 10% “COVID-19 Recovery Charge” to each bill.
From now until May 30, reservations are required to visit the roof from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Fridays, and from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekends. Starting May 31, reservations will be required every day from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Non-guests are no longer allowed at the pool.
That means that a family of four staying at the hotel and visiting the pool for lunch, dinner, or just an afternoon swim on the weekend would have to pay $140 — or $1.33 per minute of pool time — before even thinking about getting something to eat or drink.
Reservations are not required from 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. daily, so your best bet to see the runway without paying extra on top of your room rate would be to head up early and hope there’s space available.
Featured photo courtesy of The TWA Hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees