TPG’s 2019 year of giving in review
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a great year for TPG. In 2019, we doubled in size and moved to a new office in New York City. We’ve also been able to use our passion for travel and points and miles not only to help our readers but also to help people and organizations in need around the globe.
Our efforts at have paid off. TPG raised and donated more than $920,208 for a variety of organizations. This wouldn’t have been possible without help from our generous and loyal readers, so thank you for making this another special year and helping TPG help others.
Before we jump into 2020, let’s take a look at all the ways TPG and our readers gave back this year.
PeaceJam is a nonprofit organization that TPG has been working with since 2014. Its mission is to foster young leaders committed to positive change in themselves, their communities and the world.
The organization inspires young people with messages from Nobel Peace Prize laureates who use their spirit, skills and wisdom to create educational programs for youth around the world.
This year, TPG himself and other TPG staffers got a glimpse of the organization’s impact on trips to Guatemala, South Africa and Liberia.
Over the course of the year, TPG and readers donated $400,000, allowing us to:
- Sponsor four countries (Ghana, Guatemala, Liberia and South Africa)
- Bring 1,583 students to PeaceJam conferences
- Give 54 schools an opportunity to run PeaceJam programming for 5,660 students
- Assist 142 community service projects led by PeaceJammers, which resulted in 25,000 people impacted
In many countries, lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans-identified people still live in fear for their freedom, their safety and their lives. They have nowhere to turn because the government and police don’t protect them and instead persecute them. Rainbow Railroad helps these people get out of danger to a safe place far from state-enabled violence and murder.
This year, TPG himself shared his own coming-out story and invited friends from the community to share their own stories. TPG also launched a Prizeo campaign with Chase around World Pride, which raised $124,000. This enabled TPG to move 16 people to safety.
This year we partnered with United and its Miles on a Mission program to announce a match of up to 10 million miles. Through our collaboration,we raised 12,402,996 miles for eight organizations. Among those organizations were Rainbow Railroad, for which we raised 719,380 miles, and PeaceJam, 780,939 miles.
In 2019, we hosted two Prizeo campaigns with partners. These campaigns allowed us to engage our readers with our charitable partners in a unique way.
We partnered with JetBlue in the spring and raised over $60,000 for The Kelly Gang — an organization that serves students of all faiths who have demonstrated the potential and motivation to achieve success. JetBlue contributed a million TrueBlue points as the grand prize for our giveaway, which was awarded to a TPG reader.
Over the summer, we also partnered with Chase and raised over $113,000 for Rainbow Railroad. To celebrate, we had an airline-themed float at World Pride in NYC, where TPG readers were able to march with us by donating to the campaign. The grand prize winner was gifted one million Chase Ultimate Rewards miles to put toward the trip of a lifetime planned by TPG himself.
In support of amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research, TPG donated $75,000 to sponsor amfAR’s Annual NYC Gala. The international nonprofit organization supports of AIDS research, HIV prevention, treatment education and public policy advocacy on AIDS-related issues.
Angel City Sports
Angel City Sports creates sport opportunities for people with physical disabilities. This year TPG sponsored the “Gold Meets Golden” Angel City Sports event with a $75,000 donation. The Points Guy, Brian Kelly, announced an additional $25,000 donation to Angel City Sports at the event.
Heritage of Pride
Heritage of Pride is the organization responsible for planning and producing NYC’s official LGBTQIA+ pride events each year. The events commemorate the Stonewall Riots of 1969, which marked the beginning of the modern gay rights movement. To secure our spot in the World Pride parade, TPG donated $35,000 to the group.
International Society of Women Airline Pilots
The International Society of Women Airline Pilots (ISWAP) is dedicated to scholarship, mentoring and camaraderie to promote women in aviation who are or want to become airline pilots.
TPG donated $50,000 to ISWAP in honor of the TPG Awards Hero recipient, Beverly Bass. Bass was the third woman hired as a pilot by American Airlines and later became the first female captain for American.
In addition to these highlights, TPG’s charitable work helped many other organizations, including Housing Works, Dancers for Good, Make-A-Wish Foundation, Gbowee Peace Foundation, Memorial Sloan Kettering hospital and AIDS/LifeCycle.
Here at TPG, we are thankful for our ability to give back and for our generous readers who have contributed throughout the year. If there’s an organization you think would be a great fit for TPG, let us know.
Looking ahead to 2020, we hope to match — or top — our giving efforts so here’s to a happy, healthy and charitable 2020.
Featured photo by The Points Guy Staff.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees