Donate your miles this Giving Tuesday and United Airlines will match up to 5 million miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With Thanksgiving in the rear-view mirror, we’re now fully into the holiday season. Unfortunately, this time of year can bring notable difficulties to those in need — and with the economic fallout from the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, this month may be especially challenging.
That’s why we’re so excited to once again partner with United Airlines for Giving Tuesday — an international day of charitable giving celebrated on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (Dec. 1 in 2020). And we can’t think of a better way to kick off the holidays than donating miles to those who need them most as part of the 2020 TPG Awards.
Just like last year, this partnership will see United Airlines match all miles donated at a 1:1 ratio for up to 5 million MileagePlus miles for its Miles on a Mission program. This year will include nearly 40 non-profit organizations and campaigns that work on a myriad of causes — from disaster relief to diversity & inclusion initiatives to educational opportunities. Each participating charity can receive a match of up to 125,000 miles, and the match will continue until the five-million-mile threshold is hit — whether that’s today or in the days or weeks to come.
Here’s a sample of the participating organizations this year:
- Rainbow Railroad: We’re proud to work closely with Rainbow Railroad, an organization that helps those who identify as members of the LGBTQI community find asylum from their countries of origin where they are persecuted.
- College to Congress: The College to Congress scholarship eliminates the financial burden associated with interning in DC. For every intern that is accepted into our program and hired by a member office, we cover housing, food, a professional wardrobe, and transportation to and from Washington, DC.
- Compass to Care: This Chicago-based organization assists children suffering from cancer by providing travel to receive life-saving cancer treatments, as 30% of children diagnosed with cancer do not live within 60 miles of an oncologist.
- Lily’s Hope Foundation: The Lily’s Hope Foundation empowers families with unexpected and urgent needs due to premature birth. Lily’s Hope accomplishes this by providing aid, hope and resources to families with preemies through our Packages of Hope program.
- Up2UsSports: An organization that works to engage, train and support coaches to serve as mentors and role models for youth in underserved communities all across the U.S.
Best of all, it’s up to you to decide which charity or mission you’re most passionate about. You can review a full list of participating organizations and campaigns and donate your miles at this page.
Miles on a Mission first launched in Oct. 2019 and has helped raise more than 92 million miles since then. It’s one of the many ways that United Airlines gives back to the communities it serves by providing an opportunity for its customers to do some good with their miles.
If you’re sitting on a huge balance of MileagePlus miles thanks to canceled trips and want to give back this holiday season, consider donating them to a worthy cause today — and if you do, be sure to share on your social channels and tag @thepointsguy and United Airlines with the #MilesOnAMission.
For more information on this program, check out the following video:
Featured photo by The Points Guy Staff.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.