Donate your miles this Giving Tuesday and United Airlines will match up to 5 million miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With Thanksgiving in the rear-view mirror, we’re now fully into the holiday season. Unfortunately, this time of year can bring notable difficulties to those in need — and with the economic fallout from the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, this month may be especially challenging.
That’s why we’re so excited to once again partner with United Airlines for Giving Tuesday — an international day of charitable giving celebrated on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving (Dec. 1 in 2020). And we can’t think of a better way to kick off the holidays than donating miles to those who need them most as part of the 2020 TPG Awards.
Just like last year, this partnership will see United Airlines match all miles donated at a 1:1 ratio for up to 5 million MileagePlus miles for its Miles on a Mission program. This year will include nearly 40 non-profit organizations and campaigns that work on a myriad of causes — from disaster relief to diversity & inclusion initiatives to educational opportunities. Each participating charity can receive a match of up to 125,000 miles, and the match will continue until the five-million-mile threshold is hit — whether that’s today or in the days or weeks to come.
Here’s a sample of the participating organizations this year:
- Rainbow Railroad: We’re proud to work closely with Rainbow Railroad, an organization that helps those who identify as members of the LGBTQI community find asylum from their countries of origin where they are persecuted.
- College to Congress: The College to Congress scholarship eliminates the financial burden associated with interning in DC. For every intern that is accepted into our program and hired by a member office, we cover housing, food, a professional wardrobe, and transportation to and from Washington, DC.
- Compass to Care: This Chicago-based organization assists children suffering from cancer by providing travel to receive life-saving cancer treatments, as 30% of children diagnosed with cancer do not live within 60 miles of an oncologist.
- Lily’s Hope Foundation: The Lily’s Hope Foundation empowers families with unexpected and urgent needs due to premature birth. Lily’s Hope accomplishes this by providing aid, hope and resources to families with preemies through our Packages of Hope program.
- Up2UsSports: An organization that works to engage, train and support coaches to serve as mentors and role models for youth in underserved communities all across the U.S.
Best of all, it’s up to you to decide which charity or mission you’re most passionate about. You can review a full list of participating organizations and campaigns and donate your miles at this page.
Miles on a Mission first launched in Oct. 2019 and has helped raise more than 92 million miles since then. It’s one of the many ways that United Airlines gives back to the communities it serves by providing an opportunity for its customers to do some good with their miles.
If you’re sitting on a huge balance of MileagePlus miles thanks to canceled trips and want to give back this holiday season, consider donating them to a worthy cause today — and if you do, be sure to share on your social channels and tag @thepointsguy and United Airlines with the #MilesOnAMission.
For more information on this program, check out the following video:
Featured photo by The Points Guy Staff.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees