TPG: 10 things I miss about flying
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As someone who usually flies 250,000+ miles and hasn’t been on plane since March 1 due to coronavirus, these last two months being grounded have me itching to get back in the air, just like everyone else here at TPG.
Want more travel news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
While I’m using this time to continue to rack up points and miles for and plan my next trip, I’ve also been thinking about the little things — even the usually annoying things! — I miss about being in an airport right now.
Here are 10 aspects of life on the road I’ll welcome with open arms once the time comes.
1. The unmistakable smell of Auntie Anne’s pretzels wafting through the terminal.
2. The frantic last-call boarding announcements for the person *still drinking* at the airport Chili’s, about to miss their flight to Cancun.
3. The head-to-toe, rubber-gloved TSA pat down.
4. The feeling of daggers in my back as I jump to the front of the TSA PreCheck line thanks to my CLEAR status.
5. The excitement of walking onto a plane with delusions of grandeur, thinking your seatmate is going to be your soul mate — but it’s usually just another tired business traveler.
6. Trying to find the Uber driver — “Are you in the inside lane or the outer lane?!” — and time it *exactly right* to minimize time outside.
7. Shopping at Hudson News, trying to find a healthy but delicious snack and coming up empty once again — and just going with mesquite barbecue deep fried potato chips.
8. Waiting in endless Starbucks lines, wishing they had mobile ordering in airports.
9. Eating nuts on a plane as if they are the most exclusive delicacy in the world — even when I don’t really like nuts, but they just taste better warm on a plane.
10. Feeling like Norm from “Cheers” walking into a Centurion Lounge, seeing the friendly check-in agents and countless TPG readers, and knowing I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.
Want more of Brian’s thoughts on travel, points and miles, and much more? Sign up for TPG’s new weekly newsletter written by Brian Kelly.
What weird things do you miss most about being in an airport? Let us know in the comments.
Feature image by Wyatt Smith / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees