These Are the Top 10 US Airports for Pets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
These airports are going to the dogs, but in this case, that isn’t a bad thing. A new study analyzed airports across the country to find which were the very best for our four-legged friends. Since airports carrying 10,000 passengers or more are required to provide service animal relief areas in every terminal, the survey put an emphasis on the quality of pet relief areas and amenities, rather than the quantity.
To calculate the top 10 rankings, airports were awarded a maximum of 5 points on the quality of indoor relief areas and 4.5 points on the quality of other pet-friendly amenities (like fully-fenced in dog parks with real grass, water fountains and running space.) The final half point was awarded to airports that offered onsite boarding or daycare facilities. Scores ranged from one perfect 10 to more than 75 airports with a whopping total score of zero — the exact opposite of pet-friendly. Airports with a zero simply had a pre-security pet relief option, with most offering a patch of rocks.
DFW has multiple pre-security designated pet relief areas and four pet relief areas past security. The airport has a Paradise 4 Paws on-site pet resort, which offers around the clock boarding services for travelers who need a sitter.
Dallas Love Field has its very own pet park located right outside of baggage claim. The fenced-in space is large enough for a pooch to run, play and get some exercise before heading out on a flight. The airport also has a smaller pet relief area past security.
RNO has two fully fenced, outdoor “Bark Parks” that includes running water, fire hydrants, canopies for inclement weather, and mutt mitts to clean up after the canines. After security, pups could use the indoor pet relief area on the second floor of the terminal.
Austin-Bergstrom has a pre-security, landscaped and lighted “Dog Walk” that features a pet drinking fountain. Complimentary waste pick-up bags are available for puppy parents for a quick clean-up. Inside the airport, there is a pet relief area on the outdoor patio post-security.
3. Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) 9 Points
Sky Harbor has six fully-gated areas, know as “Paw Pads,” outside Terminals 2, 3 and 4. Post-security, there are three spots inside the airport for pets to use the potty.
2. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) 9.5 Points
Before passing through the metal detectors, travelers with tails could take care of their business at ATL’s 1,000-square-foot dog park. ATL is one of the most accommodating airports, with relief areas in every concourse. If you don’t plan on bringing Fido, pets can be dropped off at Pet Paradise, ATL’s onsite boarding facility.
1. John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) 10 Points
JFK took the No. 1 spot with the perfect score of 10 out of 10. JFK’s pet relief stations put the typical tiny patches of fake grass to shame. Terminal 5 is home to the T5 Rooftop, a post-security outdoor patio located across from Gate 28. The patio is even an appreciable spot for travelers without canine companions to grab some fresh air before spending hours stuck in a metal tube. Additionally, Terminal 8 has a 1,000 square-foot patch of natural grass before security and one relief area post-security. A post-security pet bathroom with artificial grass with built-in drainage, a replica fire hydrant, and sink could be found at Terminal 4.
At least JFK can say its the best at something, considering the airport came in dead last on TPG’s ranking of the best airports of 2018.
Featured image by Richard Atrero de Guzman/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees