The Best Pet-Sitting Options for Traveling Pet Parents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the most challenging tasks a pet owner can face is deciding what to do with their pet while traveling. After weighing whether or not you should bring your pet along for the journey, you may find that the best option is to leave them behind. Leaving your fur baby in the care of someone else is an idea that many people are not completely comfortable with, but often there is no other choice. These are some of the best options travelers can choose from when it comes to pet-sitting.
Rover connects pet parents with a network of animal lovers who will treat their pets like family while they’re away. Travelers in need of a sitter can choose the service that’s right for them, from dog boarding (overnight stay at a sitter’s home) and house sitting (the sitter stays overnight in your home) to drop-in visits for walks and playtime. Rover is a great option because pets can stay in the comfort of their own home and get plenty of one-on-one attention from a loving sitter. The company is picky about the sitters they allow on the site, approving less than 20% of all potential sitters and requiring background checks for new sitters. The Points Guy readers can also receive a $40 credit upon signup.
PetSmart stores offer pet-sitting services for dogs and cats at their very own PetsHotel properties, which are connected to 70 stores nationwide. The PetSmart PetsHotels have standard rooms or upgraded private suites that offer raised cots and televisions airing your pups’ favorite programs. Cats are kept in the Kitty Cottages and are separated from dogs to reduce any anxiety, and complimentary calming pheromones are used to keep pets relaxed for the duration of their stay. The 24/7 onsite care includes exercise walks around large playrooms for pups, and individual playtime daily for cats. Pet owners can choose to provide their own food, or treat their pet with the meals provided.
D Pet Hotels
The D Pet Hotels are so luxurious that most humans would be happy to stay in one of the suites. The company, which has locations in New York City, Los Angeles, Austin and Scottsdale, offers three different suites for pet owners to choose from: a small doggie cot, twin-sized bed or queen-sized bed. The rooms feature modern decor and large flat-screen televisions. Meals are prepared by a private chef who cooks up a variety of all-natural, custom recipes. The doggie hotels have their own gyms that include custom doggie treadmills and personal trainers for pups trying to shed a few pounds.
Local kennels and pet-boarding services are available in almost any location. The best way to find the most reliable kennel is to reach out to friends, neighbors or your veterinarian for recommendations. Still, travelers should read the online reviews and visit the kennel before dropping your pet off to ensure that the space is suitable for your furry friend. Make sure the location looks and smells clean, has proper ventilation and a comfortable room temperature.
Feature photo by Fernando Trabanco Fotografía/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees