The Points Guy hires cruise expert Gene Sloan to expand coverage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG is kicking off the new year with an exciting new addition to our team.
One of the nation’s best-known cruise experts, Gene Sloan, is joining TPG full-time as a senior reporter for cruise and travel.
Sloan comes to The Points Guy after more than two decades at USA Today where he is best known for leading a multi-year expansion into cruise coverage, building it into a major franchise. Sloan founded, and for many years ran, USA Today’s award-winning online cruise section. His cruise stories have appeared in dozens of news outlets across the country.
For the last year, Sloan has also been contributing cruise content to TPG. This has included everything from a comparison of 16 different cruise lines to a first look at Royal Caribbean’s new private island to a sneak peek at an all-new Norwegian ship.
In his new role, Sloan will spearhead a significant expansion of cruise coverage at The Points Guy as the site continues to broaden its focus on all areas of travel news.
Sloan has years of experience in building and expanding cruise-focused travel sites. In addition to founding USA Today Cruises, he helped launch a USA Today-owned cruise review site, Reviewed.com/Cruises, and a planning site, Experience Cruise.
Sloan also has served as an on-air cruise expert for The Travel Channel, appearing in the channel’s “Cruises We Love!” series, and is the co-author of several Frommer’s cruise guides. In his early years at USA Today, he wrote about adventure travel and family travel in addition to cruising. His travel writing has taken him to 87 countries and all seven continents — not to mention sailing on more than 150 ships.
As an avid flyer, Sloan also enjoys the view from 35,000 feet. He has earned lifetime Million Miler status with United and is now flying toward the same lifetime goal with American Airlines. For the record, he’s on team aisle seat.
“I am thrilled to be joining what is quickly becoming one of the most important travel content sites on the internet,” said Sloan. “As big media has pulled back on serious travel content in recent years, it has created an opening for new, smart and nimble innovators in travel content such as The Points Guy.”
Sloan’s hire comes at a time of rapid editorial growth for The Points Guy. Founded just a decade ago by CEO Brian Kelly and initially focused on maximizing travel using points and miles earned through loyalty programs and credit cards, TPG has been adding staff at breakneck speed this year as it expands into broader coverage of airlines, hotels, resorts and destinations. TPG now has more than 100 employees with more key open positions to fill.
Driven by a mission of helping travelers “maximize their travel experience while minimizing spending,” The Points Guy sees more than 10 million monthly unique visitors to the site, with a social media following of more than 3 million.
Featured image by Sina Ettmer/EyeEm/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees