This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
History’s going to have to wait a bit while the tire’s getting changed: The classic Lockheed Starliner en route to New York-JFK’s much-anticipated TWA Hotel had to make a pit stop outside Boston because of a flat tire Wednesday.
The four-engine, triple-tailed, dolphin-bodied jetliner, nicknamed “Connie” and stripped of its wings and tail, was photographed on the side of I-495 in Bolton, Massachusetts, where it waited while the massive flatbed truck carrying it received necessary repairs. The flat was fixed quickly, and the plane is now back on schedule, according to a source familiar with the development.
The rare aircraft, one of only 44 made in the late 1950s, left Auburn-Lewiston Airport (LEW) on Tuesday for its slow journey to New York City, where it will serve as a retro-themed cocktail lounge. It has spent the last few decades as a source of spare parts for a sister Starliner that’s being restored to flying condition by Lufthansa.
According to Tyler Morse, the CEO of MCR and Morse Development, which is renovating the hotel, this particular Starliner has had a storied career, including as a drug-running vehicle in South America. It’s one of four Starliners still in existence.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees