Lockheed Starliner Headed to JFK’s TWA Hotel Grounded by Flat Tire
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
History’s going to have to wait a bit while the tire’s getting changed: The classic Lockheed Starliner en route to New York-JFK’s much-anticipated TWA Hotel had to make a pit stop outside Boston because of a flat tire Wednesday.
The four-engine, triple-tailed, dolphin-bodied jetliner, nicknamed “Connie” and stripped of its wings and tail, was photographed on the side of I-495 in Bolton, Massachusetts, where it waited while the massive flatbed truck carrying it received necessary repairs. The flat was fixed quickly, and the plane is now back on schedule, according to a source familiar with the development.
The rare aircraft, one of only 44 made in the late 1950s, left Auburn-Lewiston Airport (LEW) on Tuesday for its slow journey to New York City, where it will serve as a retro-themed cocktail lounge. It has spent the last few decades as a source of spare parts for a sister Starliner that’s being restored to flying condition by Lufthansa.
According to Tyler Morse, the CEO of MCR and Morse Development, which is renovating the hotel, this particular Starliner has had a storied career, including as a drug-running vehicle in South America. It’s one of four Starliners still in existence.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.