Lockheed Starliner Headed to JFK’s TWA Hotel Grounded by Flat Tire
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
History’s going to have to wait a bit while the tire’s getting changed: The classic Lockheed Starliner en route to New York-JFK’s much-anticipated TWA Hotel had to make a pit stop outside Boston because of a flat tire Wednesday.
The four-engine, triple-tailed, dolphin-bodied jetliner, nicknamed “Connie” and stripped of its wings and tail, was photographed on the side of I-495 in Bolton, Massachusetts, where it waited while the massive flatbed truck carrying it received necessary repairs. The flat was fixed quickly, and the plane is now back on schedule, according to a source familiar with the development.
The rare aircraft, one of only 44 made in the late 1950s, left Auburn-Lewiston Airport (LEW) on Tuesday for its slow journey to New York City, where it will serve as a retro-themed cocktail lounge. It has spent the last few decades as a source of spare parts for a sister Starliner that’s being restored to flying condition by Lufthansa.
According to Tyler Morse, the CEO of MCR and Morse Development, which is renovating the hotel, this particular Starliner has had a storied career, including as a drug-running vehicle in South America. It’s one of four Starliners still in existence.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees