This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to head to Tahiti on points and miles, you’re in luck. There’s some surprisingly good award availability in business class on Air Tahiti Nui’s brand new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
While the B/E Aerospace Diamond business class seats don’t provide the most privacy, the 2-2-2 arrangement is perfect for couples traveling together. And now you can travel together with a special someone to Papeete, Tahiti, in business class on numerous dates.
Since October 2018, American Airlines has made it possible to search and book Air Tahiti Nui award availability right on AA’s website. There are no tricks involved. Just start your award search right on the AA.com homepage.
Booking with AAdvantage miles isn’t the cheapest. Economy awards are going to cost 40,000 miles each way and business class awards are going to cost 80,000 miles each way. So, you’ll need 320,000 AAdvantage miles to book two passengers round-trip. That said, AA will let you book from anywhere in the US through Los Angeles to catch the Air Tahiti Nui flight to Tahiti.
Here are the dates that I’m currently seeing business class award availability for two passengers from Los Angeles to Papeete, Tahiti:
- March 10, 16
- April 15, 16, 21
- May 7, 11, 14
- June 2, 4, 9, 21
- October 22, 24, 26-27, 29-31
- November 1-3, 5-10, 12-17, 21-22, 24-25, 28, 30
- December 1, 5, 7-8, 10, 12-18
- January 4, 11-12
And to be sure that this wasn’t phantom award availability, we priced out a few dates to find that the all-in round-trip price for two passengers would be 320,000 miles plus just $113 in taxes/fees:
Hotels and Tips for French Polynesia
If you’re wondering where to stay when in French Polynesia, TPG‘s got you covered with numerous hotel reviews:
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort and Spa
- Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
- Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa
- InterContinental Resort and Spa Moorea
For tips about how to maximize your time on the ground, read about How to Take a Cheap Ferry From Tahiti to Moorea and Eating Your Way Through Tahiti’s Famed Food Trucks. Or, if you’d rather listen than read, check out TPG‘s first-ever Miles Away podcast which featured all things French Polynesia.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/TPG.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards