This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to head to Tahiti on points and miles, you’re in luck. There’s some surprisingly good award availability in business class on Air Tahiti Nui’s brand new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
While the B/E Aerospace Diamond business class seats don’t provide the most privacy, the 2-2-2 arrangement is perfect for couples traveling together. And now you can travel together with a special someone to Papeete, Tahiti, in business class on numerous dates.
Since October 2018, American Airlines has made it possible to search and book Air Tahiti Nui award availability right on AA’s website. There are no tricks involved. Just start your award search right on the AA.com homepage.
Booking with AAdvantage miles isn’t the cheapest. Economy awards are going to cost 40,000 miles each way and business class awards are going to cost 80,000 miles each way. So, you’ll need 320,000 AAdvantage miles to book two passengers round-trip. That said, AA will let you book from anywhere in the US through Los Angeles to catch the Air Tahiti Nui flight to Tahiti.
Here are the dates that I’m currently seeing business class award availability for two passengers from Los Angeles to Papeete, Tahiti:
- March 10, 16
- April 15, 16, 21
- May 7, 11, 14
- June 2, 4, 9, 21
- October 22, 24, 26-27, 29-31
- November 1-3, 5-10, 12-17, 21-22, 24-25, 28, 30
- December 1, 5, 7-8, 10, 12-18
- January 4, 11-12
And to be sure that this wasn’t phantom award availability, we priced out a few dates to find that the all-in round-trip price for two passengers would be 320,000 miles plus just $113 in taxes/fees:
Hotels and Tips for French Polynesia
If you’re wondering where to stay when in French Polynesia, TPG‘s got you covered with numerous hotel reviews:
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort and Spa
- Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
- Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa
- InterContinental Resort and Spa Moorea
For tips about how to maximize your time on the ground, read about How to Take a Cheap Ferry From Tahiti to Moorea and Eating Your Way Through Tahiti’s Famed Food Trucks. Or, if you’d rather listen than read, check out TPG‘s first-ever Miles Away podcast which featured all things French Polynesia.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/TPG.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees