Solid Award Availability to Tahiti on Air Tahiti Nui’s Brand New Dreamliner
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to head to Tahiti on points and miles, you’re in luck. There’s some surprisingly good award availability in business class on Air Tahiti Nui’s brand new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
While the B/E Aerospace Diamond business class seats don’t provide the most privacy, the 2-2-2 arrangement is perfect for couples traveling together. And now you can travel together with a special someone to Papeete, Tahiti, in business class on numerous dates.
Since October 2018, American Airlines has made it possible to search and book Air Tahiti Nui award availability right on AA’s website. There are no tricks involved. Just start your award search right on the AA.com homepage.
Booking with AAdvantage miles isn’t the cheapest. Economy awards are going to cost 40,000 miles each way and business class awards are going to cost 80,000 miles each way. So, you’ll need 320,000 AAdvantage miles to book two passengers round-trip. That said, AA will let you book from anywhere in the US through Los Angeles to catch the Air Tahiti Nui flight to Tahiti.
Here are the dates that I’m currently seeing business class award availability for two passengers from Los Angeles to Papeete, Tahiti:
- March 10, 16
- April 15, 16, 21
- May 7, 11, 14
- June 2, 4, 9, 21
- October 22, 24, 26-27, 29-31
- November 1-3, 5-10, 12-17, 21-22, 24-25, 28, 30
- December 1, 5, 7-8, 10, 12-18
- January 4, 11-12
And to be sure that this wasn’t phantom award availability, we priced out a few dates to find that the all-in round-trip price for two passengers would be 320,000 miles plus just $113 in taxes/fees:
Hotels and Tips for French Polynesia
If you’re wondering where to stay when in French Polynesia, TPG‘s got you covered with numerous hotel reviews:
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort and Spa
- Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
- Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa
- InterContinental Resort and Spa Moorea
For tips about how to maximize your time on the ground, read about How to Take a Cheap Ferry From Tahiti to Moorea and Eating Your Way Through Tahiti’s Famed Food Trucks. Or, if you’d rather listen than read, check out TPG‘s first-ever Miles Away podcast which featured all things French Polynesia.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.