A New 200-Mile Tourist Route Connects Two Stunning National Parks in Scotland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As tourism boards around the world turn to branding to drive interest, Scotland just added another in a growing line of named routes meant to lure travelers from overcrowded areas to new regions, attractions and destinations.
Called Heart 200, this touring route of approximately 200 miles circles around Perth, Stirling; The Trossachs; and Highland Perthshire, and officially launched on July 1. It’s designed to showcase two of the country’s most beautiful national parks (Loch Lomond and The Trossachs, and the Cairngorms) as well as castles, distilleries, wildlife parks, theaters and gardens along the way.
Scotland is treating Heart 200 like a theme park — at least from a branding perspective. There are dedicated social channels and a website with its own “See and Do” section. Rather than point tourists to the general vicinity, namecheck a couple of parks and let them do the rest, Scotland lays out activities, attractions and even rainy day plans for those making the trek.
There’s a lot to love about the itineraries. A few years back — long before it was known as Heart 200 — I did a variation of this route by starting in Glasgow and driving through both national parks en route to Loch Ness. (My Nessie spotting experience is strictly confidential.) I’d personally recommend veering over to explore the Glencoe region after exiting Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park. That’s the region made famous in the closing scenes of “Skyfall” and it’s breathtaking in person.
From there, I drove to Glenfinnan Viaduct (home to a legendary hike leading to the real Hogwarts Express train) before trekking north to Loch Ness. Closing the loop back to Glasgow or Edinburgh, you’re able to drive through Cairngorms National Park and pick back up on the Heart 200.
While 200 miles can be covered in a weekend, the portal breaks the trip into six distinct sections for those looking to spend more time on the ground. While there’s plenty of cycling, hiking and canoeing to be had, the entire route can also be done from the comfort of a vehicle, which is ideal for those with limited mobility.
Heart 200 recently opened its blog to guests, creating an opportunity to share your escapades with others should you find yourself in the area this summer.
Featured image of Loch Lomond & The Trossachs by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees