Calling All Muggles: The Real Hogwarts Express Train Is Back in Action
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Accio tickets to the Scottish Highlands!
After a seasonal break, the Jacobite steam train (a.k.a. the train used as a stand-in for the actual Hogwarts Express in the Harry Potter films) is back in business, People reports. And no, you won’t have to pass through Platform 9 3/4 to get there.
The Jacobite steam train has been in operation for over 100 years. Known originally for its scenic views of the Scottish Highlands, the old rail line only got attached the Harry Potter-verse after it was featured as the Hogwarts Express in “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” and every other Potter film going forward. If you’re not sure what we’re referencing — maybe this picture will help jog your memory:
The train itself runs two times a day from the town of Fort William to Mallaig, covering about an 84-mile stretch of land over two hours. Fort William, Scotland is about a two-hour drive from Glasgow or 90 minutes from Inverness. That 84-mile stretch covered on the train includes a healthy dose of Harry Potter Easter eggs like the Glenfinnan Viaduct — which requires a bit of a hike to reach, but according to TPG Senior Writer Darren Murph, is “totally worth it.”
“Catching a glimpse of the Harry Potter Train rolling by, steam billowing out and all, requires a hike through the Scottish countryside,” said Murph. “You’ll start at the Glenfinnan Station Museum, following a well-trodden path to the viewpoint. The train only runs a few times per day, but waiting is worth it for views like this.”
Passengers who purchase round-trip tickets for the same day should be able to take a quick trip from Mallaig to the nearby town of Glencoe, which was used as the set for Hagrid’s cottage.
Aside from the Potter-related views, the Jacobite also passes by Loch Morar, the deepest freshwater loch, and Loch Nevis, the deepest seawater loch.
Tickets are currently listed at $50 for adults and $28 for kids through the travel booking site TravelPirates. (Be sure to use a card that awards a bonus on travel and doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees.) Remember, the rail operates seasonally — so you only have from April to October to ride the real Hogwarts Express in 2019. (Those who can’t make it to the United Kingdom will have to settle for the Universal Studios version.)
Pack your robes, wand, spell books and … owls? After all, Hagrid isn’t going to come to get you himself.
To continue your Scottish vacation planning:
- Four Reasons to Visit Edinburgh
- Fun Activities for Families Visiting Edinburgh
- Review of the Hilton Edinburgh Carlton Hotel
- Review of the Radisson Blu Edinburgh Royal Mile Hotel
- Best Way to Cross the Atlantic Using Miles
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.