Rome to build a barrier around the iconic Trevi Fountain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rome’s city council just approved a resolution to set up barriers surrounding the iconic Trevi Fountain. Officials are hoping that it will curtail some risky and dangerous behavior from tourists. Think: Recreating the famous scene from “La Dolce Vita,” among other troubling actions. Police have been doing their best to ban people from sitting on the famous monument for about a year, but this more permanent motion will take it a step further.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
As The Telegraph notes, the motion was passed almost unanimously. It calls for “respect for the symbolic parts of Roma Capitale,” as well as new provisions that restrict unauthorized street sellers around major tourist attractions, such as the Colosseum.
But not all locals are thrilled by the decision. As Matador Network reports, Italian architect and historian Paolo Portoghesi is one of the many that are opposed to it. He said, “Installing a barrier seems like a frightening offense to the beauty of a masterpiece that gives itself generously to those who observe it.”
This is just the latest in Italy’s crackdown on tourists behaving badly. Back in 2017, the city banned “frolicking” in the famed fountain. Just this past summer, the city also passed some ordinances limiting pub crawls and even wheeling chunky suitcases down staircases. As of 2018, Rome banned drinking on public streets after 10 p.m., as well as prohibited bars from serving alcohol from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. Venice also began to crack down on tourists drinking in public back in 2018.
That said, Italy is at the top of so many traveler’s must-see lists, and it’s no wonder why. The food, people and culture are truly top-notch. Check out our guide on how to get there using points and miles, and put all the money you’re saving toward some of the best pizza, pasta and gelato you’ll ever have.
Just please, be a good tourist, would you?
Featured image courtesy of hocus-focus/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees