This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to escape the hot Italian sun on your summer vacation to Rome, resist the temptation to jump into the Trevi Fountain. It just might be the most expensive dip of your life.
The Mayor of Rome announced on Monday that anyone caught swimming, wading, washing or even eating near the famous fountain will be slapped with a 240 euro (about $269) fine. In a Facebook post, Mayor Virginia Raggi explained that her decision intends to protect the fountain’s beauty.
“We do not tolerate episodes against the rules of urban decor and we want to protect the historical, artistic and archaeological heritage of Rome,” she wrote. The ban includes 40 famous fountains across Rome and will be in effect through October.
Swimming in the Trevi Fountain has long been a devilish dream for many a tourist — or at least since the 1960 premiere of Federico Fellini’s La Dolce Vita. One of the film’s central scenes takes place in the fountain.
Featured image courtesy of Anadolu Agency via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees