Rome Bans Frolicking in the Trevi Fountain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking to escape the hot Italian sun on your summer vacation to Rome, resist the temptation to jump into the Trevi Fountain. It just might be the most expensive dip of your life.
The Mayor of Rome announced on Monday that anyone caught swimming, wading, washing or even eating near the famous fountain will be slapped with a 240 euro (about $269) fine. In a Facebook post, Mayor Virginia Raggi explained that her decision intends to protect the fountain’s beauty.
“We do not tolerate episodes against the rules of urban decor and we want to protect the historical, artistic and archaeological heritage of Rome,” she wrote. The ban includes 40 famous fountains across Rome and will be in effect through October.
Swimming in the Trevi Fountain has long been a devilish dream for many a tourist — or at least since the 1960 premiere of Federico Fellini’s La Dolce Vita. One of the film’s central scenes takes place in the fountain.
Featured image courtesy of Anadolu Agency via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.