Rome Just Announced Several New Laws Aimed at Rowdy Tourists
Tourists know a thing or two about bugging European city officials.
Rome is following Venice’s lead by announcing Wednesday the city will be cracking down on disruptive tourism with fines and potential bans. The city council issued new laws that will prevent people from dressing up as centurion soldiers from the army of Ancient Rome and posing for photos with tourists on the street. Violators could be fined up to 400 euros if they’re caught, according to CNN.
The city council is also adding alcohol restrictions and banning bathing in the city’s fountains. Individuals caught drinking on public streets after 10pm will be stopped and possibly fined. And, if you were planning on hitting some Italian clubs till the break of dawn or joining a pub crawl, think again. Bars and clubs have to stop serving alcohol from 2am to 7am under the new laws. The city council said these definitive rules will “protect public peace and limit the phenomena due to negative behaviors related to excessive consumption of alcohol, especially outdoors.”
When it comes to bathing in historic fountains like the Trevi Fountain, the Fountain of the Lions in Piazza del Popolo and the Four Rivers in Piazza di Spagna, the city council has enacted prohibitions and sanctions to prevent any bathing or misuse like throwing objects in them or climbing on them.
Rome and Venice aren’t the only Italian cities to mandate new rules and regulations, officials in Florence could also fine you for eating a panino in certain historic places.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.