Tourists Can Now Be Fined €500 For Eating A Sandwich In Florence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Snacking on a sandwich in Florence could possibly cost you €500. A new ordinance was put into effect today that bans eating on certain streets and plazas from 12:00-3:00pm and 6:00-10:00pm. Tourists and locals alike can be fined anywhere between €150 and €500 if they’re caught eating while either standing on the sidewalk or sitting on the curb.
Posters distributed by the City of Florence indicate that it is forbidden to loiter or eat any kind of food on the sidewalks or doorsteps of shops and houses on Via de’Neri, Via della Ninna, Piazzale degli Uffizi or Piazza del Grano. The posters, written in Italian and English, were distributed to local businesses to display in their windows to warn of the new war on sandwiches. The ban was placed on the streets and piazzas that surround a popular panini spot, All’ Antico Vinaio, which frequently has tourists queuing out the door.
Posters urge visitors to “respect residents, traders and workers of this street.” The ban comes after residents demanded action to be taken on visitors who eat and leave their mess behind.
President of the Via de ‘Neri committee, Roberta Pieraccioni, told Florence based newspaper, La Nazione, that volunteers of the National Observatory for Urban Security will patrol the area from Thursday to Sunday, during lunch time to report violators of the ordinance. Pieraccioni hopes that the ban will prevent the “hit and run” done by tourists who lack the respect that the local businesses and residents deserve.
The ordinance will remain in effect until January 6, when the ban will be reassessed for effectiveness.
Featured image by Jonathan Korner via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.