This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Snacking on a sandwich in Florence could possibly cost you €500. A new ordinance was put into effect today that bans eating on certain streets and plazas from 12:00-3:00pm and 6:00-10:00pm. Tourists and locals alike can be fined anywhere between €150 and €500 if they’re caught eating while either standing on the sidewalk or sitting on the curb.
Posters distributed by the City of Florence indicate that it is forbidden to loiter or eat any kind of food on the sidewalks or doorsteps of shops and houses on Via de’Neri, Via della Ninna, Piazzale degli Uffizi or Piazza del Grano. The posters, written in Italian and English, were distributed to local businesses to display in their windows to warn of the new war on sandwiches. The ban was placed on the streets and piazzas that surround a popular panini spot, All’ Antico Vinaio, which frequently has tourists queuing out the door.
Posters urge visitors to “respect residents, traders and workers of this street.” The ban comes after residents demanded action to be taken on visitors who eat and leave their mess behind.
President of the Via de ‘Neri committee, Roberta Pieraccioni, told Florence based newspaper, La Nazione, that volunteers of the National Observatory for Urban Security will patrol the area from Thursday to Sunday, during lunch time to report violators of the ordinance. Pieraccioni hopes that the ban will prevent the “hit and run” done by tourists who lack the respect that the local businesses and residents deserve.
The ordinance will remain in effect until January 6, when the ban will be reassessed for effectiveness.
Featured image by Jonathan Korner via Unsplash.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees