Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Whirlwind Visit to Belfast
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
So you think you can travel like the royals?
Here’s what you have to do: Meet-and-greet the public, inspire the peacekeeping youth of tomorrow, drink at the oldest pub in the city, drop in on the Silicon Valley of Northern Ireland, and tour the Titanic. All in one day.
Sounds exhausting? Well, clearly you’re not Prince Harry or Meghan Markle, who (somehow, some way) navigated all that — while still smiling— during their first official joint visit to Northern Ireland last week. Oh, and they looked impeccable too, of course.
First, they stopped by an event for the program Amazing the Space, which Prince Harry founded in September 2017 to “encourage young people to become ambassadors for peace within their communities” in Northern Ireland, which ended 30 years of conflict in 1998 with the Good Friday agreement.
After chatting with the young folks and giving peace a chance, they headed to The Crown Liquor Saloon, one of Belfast’s oldest buildings, owned by the National Trust. The official @KensingtonPalace Twitter account says their stop-off was to learn about its history, but gossipy folks claim the couple “enjoyed half pints of Guinness and half pints of Mourne Mountain Brewery golden ale.” And what to eat? “Harry ordered sausage and potatoes, while his fiancée dined on the pub’s signature Irish stew.”
Let us briefly pause to comment on Meghan Markle’s charming brown purse by young British designer, Charlotte Elizabeth — if only to point out that it’s already sold out. In every color. If Meghan co-opted Oprah’s Favorite Things idea, she could singlehandedly save the retail industry. Just a thought.
Then it was off to the Silicon Valley of Northern Ireland — the “next generation science park” Catalyst created on the city’s regenerated docklands. The headquarters supports 600 entrepreneurs and innovators every year. Fifteen entrepreneurs showcased their future Shark Tank products to the couple, including “high performance surfboards” and “an innovative approach to cemetery management.” (Bet that provided some interesting pillow talk.)
Finally, they headed to Titanic Belfast, a tourist attraction centering around that infamous ship which actually launched out of Belfast. They experienced a 3-D virtual tour and cabin recreations of the ship’s interior. No actual artifacts from the Titanic are present due to “ethical reasons,” but perhaps that’s best to avoid talk of icebergs and doomed voyages, as Meghan and Harry are, of course, set to be married ppn May 19 in front of 600 guests. Did you receive your invite yet?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees