Air France Raises the Bar With Its New Business Lounge at CDG
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As more and more airlines phase out international first class, they’re upping their business class offerings. Besides improving products on board, many airlines are also completely revamping the on-the-ground experience. In the past year alone, Air Canada, American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, Qantas and United have all turned heads with brand new international business-class lounges. And now, Air France, too, has a new 34,000-square-foot lounge at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) to show off.
The newly overhauled lounge is located in Hall L of Terminal 2E, from where many overseas flights depart, and is accessible by international first and business class passengers, as well as SkyTeam Elite Plus members traveling in economy with any SkyTeam carrier. Alternatively, day passes can be purchased for €45 (~$53). Since Delta operates out of of 2E at CDG, this is the go-to lounge for Delta One and eligible elite fliers. Do note that only those flying outside the Schengen area can enter.
Food & Drink
While the lounge doesn’t offer a-la-carte dining per se, it does have a “Gourmet Table” dining area, featuring an open kitchen where chefs prepare dishes in front of customers.
There are also hot and cold buffets, and a selection of wines chosen by the airline’s sommelier, Paolo Basso.
The highlight of the food and beverage offerings, however, is at the 1,700-square-foot bar area, better known as Le Balcon. Every evening from 7:00pm-9:00pm, Air France offers a selection of cocktails (and mocktails) specially designed by the head bartender of the Hotel Lancaster in Paris. The custom drinks include the “Un air de Paris,” consisting of champagne, cointreau and cognac, and a rotating destination cocktail of the month inspired by the cities Air France serves.
The space itself, designed by Mathieu Lehanneur, is quite swanky with a white marble bar at the center, a succession of theatrical box seats upholstered in blue velvet and a gold-paneled ceiling. There is also an LED screen integrated into the parquet floor depicting an image of the sky in real time.
Besides boozing up visitors, the lounge offers a nearly 6,000-square-foot wellness area where guests can refresh, relax and recharge before their flight. That’s the largest wellness area of any Air France lounge, including its phenomenal La Première First Class Lounge. It offers features like an “Instant Relaxation” area complete with loungers and La Première-looking mini-suites, and a detox bar serving flavored Evian infusions and detox teas from Palais des Thés.
There are also boudoir-like shower suites and two private saunas.
But if you really want to pamper yourself, you’ll want to take take advantage of the complimentary 20-minute facial treatment at the Clarins spa. Just remember to make a booking as soon as you arrive.
Children, too, will have fun in the new lounge with a dedicated kid’s zone complete with Sony PS4s and other games.
As Europe’s second-busiest airport, premium and elite passengers have a lot to look forward to the next time they travel through CDG. And if you aren’t eligible for lounge access, amenities like the complimentary Clarins spa treatments may help justify paying the ~$53 for a day pass. The lounge is open from 5:30am to 11:30pm daily.
Images courtesy of Air France.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.