Airports to Avoid If Travel Stresses You Out
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you traveled from LaGuardia (LGA) this year, you might feel validated in the results of a recent study conducted by InsureMyTrip, which has deemed the airport ‘Most Stressful’. The study evaluated the stressfulness of 75 US airports based on the percentage of flights cancelled throughout 2018 and then numerically ranked them.
LGA had the highest percentage of flight cancellations in 2018, at 4.9% thus far, followed by Norfolk (ORF) and then Charleston (CHS). So, if you’re flying out of any of these high-ranking airports this holiday season, prepare yourself.
The Daily Mail reached out to LGA to hear what the airport had to say in response to the study. While the airport acknowledged its shortcomings, it foresees a brighter future with its $8 billion renovation on the horizon, including its brand new Terminal B, which has just recently seen the light of day. “Live music, pet-therapy and cultural exhibits” will be integrated in the near future, according to a spokesperson at LGA, in the hopes of contributing to a more peaceful airport experience.
InsureMyTrip was helpful in pointing out a way to avoid stress at LaGuardia for the time being, noting that most delays and cancellations occur from 4 – 6pm. It seems that getting on an early flight out could be your best bet.
While the study was done to distinguish airports that should be avoided, all of the three main airports in New York made the Top 10 Most Stressful Airports, with Newark Liberty International (EWR) ranking at number six and John F. Kennedy International (JFK) at number 10.
On the other hand, Salt Lake City (SLC) is considered the least stressful airport, followed by Boise (BOI) and then Seattle (SEA). Seemingly, western states have a better rate of flight cancellations than those in the Northeast. A notable mention as far as airports ranking low in stress goes to Atlanta (ATL), which is one of the busiest airports in the world, but was still ranked at 65 out of 75.
H/T: Travel + Leisure
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees