Want to see a third of Europe on one trip? This epic new cruise hits 17 countries
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Looking for an easy way to hit the highlights of the Mediterranean in one big trip? For travelers with plenty of time (and money), there’s an epic new option from Silversea.
The luxury cruise specialists on Tuesday opened bookings for a new, 59-night Grand Voyage Mediterranean itinerary that will include stops at 15 countries in Europe, plus two more in North Africa. The voyage will take place on Silversea’s 382-passenger Silver Shadow.
It’s a rare sort of voyage that will let you see everything from the iconic Basílica de la Sagrada Família in Barcelona and the Vatican in Rome to the Acropolis in Athens and the Blue Mosque of Istanbul without ever switching vessels or having to change hotel rooms.
Kicking off Sept. 8, 2021 in Venice, Italy, the sailing includes stops in Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine, Romania and Bulgaria. And that’s just in the first 24 days.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Of course, the price is almost as epic as the itinerary, starting at $35,000 per person, not including taxes and fees. But that sort of pricing is par-for-the-course at Silversea, which is among the world’s most upscale cruise lines.
Eagle-eyed readers may have noticed some of the countries mentioned above aren’t in the Mediterranean. Though billed as a Mediterranean voyage, the trip includes a detour eastward through the Bosporus to the Black Sea for multiple stops. There’s also a final leg west through the Strait of Gibraltar into the Atlantic Ocean for a visit to Casablanca, Morocco, and several stops in the Canary Islands. The trip ends Nov. 5, 2021 in Lisbon, Portugal.
In all, 45 port calls are on the schedule.
Seven calls in Greece will include Corfu, Itea, Nafplion, Paros, Athens (via the port of Piraeus), Santorini and Rethymnon (on the island of Crete). In addition to Barcelona, nine stops in Spain will include Malaga, Cadiz, Valencia, Palma de Mallorca and four of the Canary Islands.
Highlights of the Black Sea detour will include Trabzon, Turkey; Batumi Georgia; Sochi, Russia; Odessa, Ukraine; Constanta, Romania; and Bourgas, Bulgaria.
Founded in 1994, Silversea is known for some of the most wide-ranging itineraries in the cruise business. Catering to a well-heeled crowd, it operates five traditional luxury ships, all relatively intimate and elegant (think: Four Seasons, but at sea). It also operates four hardier but no less stylish expedition-style vessels. Together, the nine ships call at more than 900 distinct destinations around the globe.
Other epic voyages that Silversea has announced for 2021 include a 150-day, around-the-world cruise. Taking place on the 382-passenger Silver Whisper, it will feature stops at 54 ports in 34 countries. It begins Jan. 7, 2021 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Unveiled in 2000, Silver Shadow recently underwent a top-to-bottom refurbishment. As is typical for Silversea, it’s an all-suite vessel with a mostly all-inclusive format. Premium wines and spirits, specialty coffees, bottled water, juices and soft drinks are included in the fare, as are amenities like onboard Wi-Fi.
Fares for the Grand Voyage Mediterranean also include round-trip economy class flights to reach the ship from select gateways and countries (passengers from excluded gateways will get a credit for airfare); a $1,000 per person onboard spending credit (to cover spa services, for example) and an overnight stay on land the night before the cruise begins.
Other perks included for those who book the sailing are complimentary luggage service, onboard laundry service and private transfers.
Silversea also is selling nine shorter segments of the trip as standalone cruises.
Would you ever book a cruise lasting more than a month? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Planning a cruise for 2020? Check out these articles:
- The 8 most exciting new cruise ships of 2020
- The 6 best cruise lines for solo travelers
- What to ask for when things go wrong on your cruise ship
- Cruise line showdown: Comparing Carnival, Disney and Royal Caribbean for families
- 5 cruise lines to try if you just can’t stand being around kids on vacation
Image of Silver Whisper courtesy of Silversea
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees