Major Refresh Planned for AvGeek Hotspot Maho Beach Resort
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
AvGeeks held their breath as Hurricane Irma approached St. Martin last September — a webcam that once captured approaching 747s instead provided a live view of the storm’s wrath, then the feed went dark. It wasn’t long before we learned of the island’s fate — beloved Maho Beach was all but destroyed.
While that area has largely been out of commission since Irma hit, Sonesta just announced a complete renovation of Maho Beach Resort.
The aviation geek mecca will reopen on February 1, 2019. And due to Irma’s destruction, this isn’t your ordinary hotel refresh. Per Sonesta:
“The resort’s Sky Tower sustained the most damage and the renovation required that the building be stripped to its main structural frame that was fortunately spared by the storm. The reconstruction project will entirely overhaul the building instating a comprehensive architectural and interior redesign but most importantly, will install TCK and LVKE building technology with storm resistant building envelope that can withstand sustained winds in excess of 200mph winds (Irma had sustained winds of 165mph) and severe earthquakes.”
The good news is that even if another Irma-like storm hits in the future, Maho Beach Resort should prevail — and, from the sounds of it, could theoretically serve as a shelter to tourists and locals.
It isn’t yet possible to book a room at the renovated resort, though Sonesta plans to make rooms available online beginning on June 1. There will be a 45% pre-opening discount as well, meaning this could be a great opportunity to experience the AvGeek thrills of Maho Beach while also helping to restore St. Martin’s tourism industry.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees