Major Refresh Planned for AvGeek Hotspot Maho Beach Resort
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
AvGeeks held their breath as Hurricane Irma approached St. Martin last September — a webcam that once captured approaching 747s instead provided a live view of the storm’s wrath, then the feed went dark. It wasn’t long before we learned of the island’s fate — beloved Maho Beach was all but destroyed.
While that area has largely been out of commission since Irma hit, Sonesta just announced a complete renovation of Maho Beach Resort.
The aviation geek mecca will reopen on February 1, 2019. And due to Irma’s destruction, this isn’t your ordinary hotel refresh. Per Sonesta:
“The resort’s Sky Tower sustained the most damage and the renovation required that the building be stripped to its main structural frame that was fortunately spared by the storm. The reconstruction project will entirely overhaul the building instating a comprehensive architectural and interior redesign but most importantly, will install TCK and LVKE building technology with storm resistant building envelope that can withstand sustained winds in excess of 200mph winds (Irma had sustained winds of 165mph) and severe earthquakes.”
The good news is that even if another Irma-like storm hits in the future, Maho Beach Resort should prevail — and, from the sounds of it, could theoretically serve as a shelter to tourists and locals.
It isn’t yet possible to book a room at the renovated resort, though Sonesta plans to make rooms available online beginning on June 1. There will be a 45% pre-opening discount as well, meaning this could be a great opportunity to experience the AvGeek thrills of Maho Beach while also helping to restore St. Martin’s tourism industry.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.