This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
AvGeeks held their breath as Hurricane Irma approached St. Martin last September — a webcam that once captured approaching 747s instead provided a live view of the storm’s wrath, then the feed went dark. It wasn’t long before we learned of the island’s fate — beloved Maho Beach was all but destroyed.
While that area has largely been out of commission since Irma hit, Sonesta just announced a complete renovation of Maho Beach Resort.
The aviation geek mecca will reopen on February 1, 2019. And due to Irma’s destruction, this isn’t your ordinary hotel refresh. Per Sonesta:
“The resort’s Sky Tower sustained the most damage and the renovation required that the building be stripped to its main structural frame that was fortunately spared by the storm. The reconstruction project will entirely overhaul the building instating a comprehensive architectural and interior redesign but most importantly, will install TCK and LVKE building technology with storm resistant building envelope that can withstand sustained winds in excess of 200mph winds (Irma had sustained winds of 165mph) and severe earthquakes.”
The good news is that even if another Irma-like storm hits in the future, Maho Beach Resort should prevail — and, from the sounds of it, could theoretically serve as a shelter to tourists and locals.
It isn’t yet possible to book a room at the renovated resort, though Sonesta plans to make rooms available online beginning on June 1. There will be a 45% pre-opening discount as well, meaning this could be a great opportunity to experience the AvGeek thrills of Maho Beach while also helping to restore St. Martin’s tourism industry.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees