Watch: Chilling Last Footage From Maho Beach Cam as Hurricane Irma Hits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Catastrophic Hurricane Irma is making its way through the Caribbean and toward Florida. The storm hit several Caribbean islands with rain and winds up to 180 mph, including Barbuda, the British Virgin Islands and St. Maarten. The latter of those islands is home to Maho Beach and Princess Juliana Airport (SXM), a favorite among aviation enthusiasts.
On most days, the Maho Beach Cam shows viewers the beach as aircraft make their final approach, seconds away from touchdown, like the Delta 757 below.
Hurricane Irma hit the beach — and the Maho Beach Camera — hard, so hard that it actually destroyed it. You can watch the chilling last video the camera captured before the storm killed it:
Irma has caused devastating damage around the Caribbean, and this video is just one aspect that shows how powerful the storm is. The storm is expected to make landfall on the US mainland on Sunday morning, with an almost certain hit on Florida. If you still haven’t evacuated the area, JetBlue is offering $99 one-way fares or make use of an airline change fee waiver in order to get out.
Featured image by Maho Beach Cam.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.