Watch: Chilling Last Footage From Maho Beach Cam as Hurricane Irma Hits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Catastrophic Hurricane Irma is making its way through the Caribbean and toward Florida. The storm hit several Caribbean islands with rain and winds up to 180 mph, including Barbuda, the British Virgin Islands and St. Maarten. The latter of those islands is home to Maho Beach and Princess Juliana Airport (SXM), a favorite among aviation enthusiasts.
On most days, the Maho Beach Cam shows viewers the beach as aircraft make their final approach, seconds away from touchdown, like the Delta 757 below.
Hurricane Irma hit the beach — and the Maho Beach Camera — hard, so hard that it actually destroyed it. You can watch the chilling last video the camera captured before the storm killed it:
Irma has caused devastating damage around the Caribbean, and this video is just one aspect that shows how powerful the storm is. The storm is expected to make landfall on the US mainland on Sunday morning, with an almost certain hit on Florida. If you still haven’t evacuated the area, JetBlue is offering $99 one-way fares or make use of an airline change fee waiver in order to get out.
Featured image by Maho Beach Cam.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.