Lufthansa Group Orders 40 New Airbus and Boeing Wide-Bodies to Replace Some A380s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Lufthansa Group has placed a huge order for 40 new Airbus and Boeing wide-body jets to replace some of its superjumbo Airbus A380s.
The Group, which owns Lufthansa, SWISS, Brussels Airlines and Austrian Airlines, among others, has ordered 20 Boeing 787-9s and 20 Airbus A350-900s which will be delivered between late 2022 and 2027.
It will be the first time any of the airlines in the group operate a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The A350 order will add to the 12 A350-900s Lufthansa has in service and 25 it has on order.
It’s unclear what subsidiaries will operate the new aircraft, but it’s possible they’ll replace Austrian’s aging fleet of Boeing 767s and 777s or SWISS’ and Lufthansa’s A340s.
The Boeing 787-9 is the midsize Dreamliner, larger than the 787-8 but smaller than the 787-10, and typically seats about 290 people in a two-class configuration.
The 787 and A350 are both long-haul aircraft and are known for their increased fuel efficiency, and therefore increased cost-effectiveness. They also feature a better passenger experience, with less engine noise and lower cabin altitude. The new aircraft will serve destinations in the North America, Asia, Africa and beyond.
The order has a list price of $12 billion, but it’s widely known that airlines receive hefty discount on large orders. Lufthansa also negotiated a sale of six Airbus A380s back to Airbus, and that was likely included as part of the deal, knocking off hundreds of millions of dollars. The double-decker aircraft will be returned to Airbus in 2022 and 2023, bringing Lufthansa’s fleet down to just eight.
Lufthansa has 20 of the soon-to-be-introduced Boeing 777-9 on order to replace its aging fleet of 747-400s, and will start taking delivery of those new 777s in 2020.
It’s unlikely that Lufthansa will install first class on the A350s and 787s. It’s moved away from it on the 747-400s and doesn’t feature it on its A350s. However, both Brussels and Lufthansa will soon start retrofitting aircraft with new business-class seats, which these new aircraft would very likely also get.
Both the A350 and 787 feature economy-class seating in a 3-3-3 configuration, but the A350 has a slightly larger cabin, which can accommodate wider seats.
Featured image courtesy of Lufthansa Group.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.