Lufthansa Group Orders 40 New Airbus and Boeing Wide-Bodies to Replace Some A380s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Lufthansa Group has placed a huge order for 40 new Airbus and Boeing wide-body jets to replace some of its superjumbo Airbus A380s.
The Group, which owns Lufthansa, SWISS, Brussels Airlines and Austrian Airlines, among others, has ordered 20 Boeing 787-9s and 20 Airbus A350-900s which will be delivered between late 2022 and 2027.
It will be the first time any of the airlines in the group operate a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The A350 order will add to the 12 A350-900s Lufthansa has in service and 25 it has on order.
It’s unclear what subsidiaries will operate the new aircraft, but it’s possible they’ll replace Austrian’s aging fleet of Boeing 767s and 777s or SWISS’ and Lufthansa’s A340s.
The Boeing 787-9 is the midsize Dreamliner, larger than the 787-8 but smaller than the 787-10, and typically seats about 290 people in a two-class configuration.
The 787 and A350 are both long-haul aircraft and are known for their increased fuel efficiency, and therefore increased cost-effectiveness. They also feature a better passenger experience, with less engine noise and lower cabin altitude. The new aircraft will serve destinations in the North America, Asia, Africa and beyond.
The order has a list price of $12 billion, but it’s widely known that airlines receive hefty discount on large orders. Lufthansa also negotiated a sale of six Airbus A380s back to Airbus, and that was likely included as part of the deal, knocking off hundreds of millions of dollars. The double-decker aircraft will be returned to Airbus in 2022 and 2023, bringing Lufthansa’s fleet down to just eight.
Lufthansa has 20 of the soon-to-be-introduced Boeing 777-9 on order to replace its aging fleet of 747-400s, and will start taking delivery of those new 777s in 2020.
It’s unlikely that Lufthansa will install first class on the A350s and 787s. It’s moved away from it on the 747-400s and doesn’t feature it on its A350s. However, both Brussels and Lufthansa will soon start retrofitting aircraft with new business-class seats, which these new aircraft would very likely also get.
Both the A350 and 787 feature economy-class seating in a 3-3-3 configuration, but the A350 has a slightly larger cabin, which can accommodate wider seats.
Featured image courtesy of Lufthansa Group.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees