Lufthansa Starting Nonstop Service Between Frankfurt and Austin in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the vein of keeping Austin weird, Lufthansa is adding one of the more unique routes we’ve seen of late: nonstop service between Frankfurt and the capital of Texas. Beginning May 3, 2019, the carrier will link the two cities for the first time, part of a much larger shift that will see five Airbus A380s transfer from Frankfurt to Munich next summer. In fact, the new flight from FRA to AUS is among the only positive news for the base, with the rest of the love seemingly directed at Munich.
Three Airbus A320 are also being moved from the Frankfurt hub to Munich to support the expansion of feeder traffic, while three smaller Bombardier CRJ900 will be transferred from Munich to Frankfurt in exchange. All of the moving and shaking is part of a corporate decision to “accelerate its growth at the Munich location and develop the Bavarian capital into a hub with a focus on Asia,” which will include Lufthansa’s first-ever nonstop flight between Munich to Bangkok and moving its nonstop service to Osaka from Frankfurt to Munich.
The carrier is giving its base in Munich a “5-Star” designation, which will enable “additional First Class offerings.” Moreover, “the majority of the Frankfurt-based A340-600 fleet will be moved to Munich.” In a release, Lufthansa asserts that it will “curb its growth at this hub [Frankfurt] in order to improve on-time ratings and operational stability.”
No details are being shared just yet on what type of aircraft will service the Frankfurt to Austin route, nor details on daily timings.
Those following ongoings in Austin likely aren’t shocked to hear the news. Delta announced earlier this year that it would be planting a Sky Club in AUS, British Airways flies there daily from London Heathrow and Norwegian flies there seasonally from London Gatwick.
Featured image courtesy of Lufthansa.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.