Lufthansa Starting Nonstop Service Between Frankfurt and Austin in 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the vein of keeping Austin weird, Lufthansa is adding one of the more unique routes we’ve seen of late: nonstop service between Frankfurt and the capital of Texas. Beginning May 3, 2019, the carrier will link the two cities for the first time, part of a much larger shift that will see five Airbus A380s transfer from Frankfurt to Munich next summer. In fact, the new flight from FRA to AUS is among the only positive news for the base, with the rest of the love seemingly directed at Munich.
Three Airbus A320 are also being moved from the Frankfurt hub to Munich to support the expansion of feeder traffic, while three smaller Bombardier CRJ900 will be transferred from Munich to Frankfurt in exchange. All of the moving and shaking is part of a corporate decision to “accelerate its growth at the Munich location and develop the Bavarian capital into a hub with a focus on Asia,” which will include Lufthansa’s first-ever nonstop flight between Munich to Bangkok and moving its nonstop service to Osaka from Frankfurt to Munich.
The carrier is giving its base in Munich a “5-Star” designation, which will enable “additional First Class offerings.” Moreover, “the majority of the Frankfurt-based A340-600 fleet will be moved to Munich.” In a release, Lufthansa asserts that it will “curb its growth at this hub [Frankfurt] in order to improve on-time ratings and operational stability.”
No details are being shared just yet on what type of aircraft will service the Frankfurt to Austin route, nor details on daily timings.
Those following ongoings in Austin likely aren’t shocked to hear the news. Delta announced earlier this year that it would be planting a Sky Club in AUS, British Airways flies there daily from London Heathrow and Norwegian flies there seasonally from London Gatwick.
Featured image courtesy of Lufthansa.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees