Lufthansa grounds Airbus A380 fleet through at least 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While I’ve had the opportunity to experience Lufthansa first class on several of the carrier’s long-haul planes — as recently as earlier this year, on the Airbus A340-600 — I have yet to try the carrier’s top cabin on the superjumbo A380. And, as reported by Bloomberg, I may never get the chance.
Lufthansa initially made the decision to ground its fleet of 14 Airbus A380s as coronavirus began its global spread in early March, and now, according to an airline spokesperson, the double-decker planes will remain on the ground through all of 2021, as well. Previously, Lufthansa regularly flew its A380s to a number of U.S. gateways, such as Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK) and San Francisco (SFO), along with several destinations in Asia.
As for what’s in store for 2022 and beyond, the fleet will operate exclusively out of Munich Airport (MUC), rather than the carrier’s main Frankfurt (FRA) hub, and even then, only “if demand picks up.”
With eight first-class seats on each plane, the grounding will potentially have a big impact on Lufthansa first-class award availability, a popular pick among Star Alliance loyalists, including flyers redeeming from Air Canada’s Aeroplan, Avianca LifeMiles and United MileagePlus.
If Lufthansa chooses to replace its A380s with select Airbus A330s, A340s or Boeing 747-8s, passengers will still have a first-class option, though the carrier’s top cabin is not available on the Airbus A350, the most fuel-efficient pick.
While disappointing, the decision to keep the A380 grounded certainly makes sense given the mid-pandemic travel environment. Borders remain closed between many regions all around the world, and even once they begin to reopen, it could take years for demand to return.
Until then, Lufthansa’s more efficient Airbus A350s, which seats a grand total of 293 passengers, would be better suited to carrying smaller groups of flyers than a double-decker superjumbo, with space for over 500.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees