Lufthansa Expands Airbus A380 Offerings in US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus A380 fans, rejoice! Next year, you’ll have more ways to fly the superjumbo from US gateways.
Lufthansa announced Wednesday that it would start flying A380s from Munich to Boston in summer 2020 and keep the plane on its Munich-San Francisco route year-round, starting in summer 2020 as well. The airline will assess demand in Boston once the A380 flights start to determine if the plane will serve Beantown year-round or only seasonally.
The flights to Boston and off-peak flights to San Francisco are both currently operated by Airbus A340-600s.
Lufthansa has 14 A380s in its fleet. Beginning next year they will be evenly distributed across its hubs in Munich and Frankfurt. Currently, the carrier bases nine in Frankfurt and five in Munich.
The German airline’s superjumbos primarily serve American and Asian destinations. Lufthansa said the new A380 routes will not affect the other US cities that are currently served by the largest commercial airliner.
Elsewhere in the US, Lufthansa’s A380 also fly at least seasonally on routes between Germany and Houston Bush Intercontinental, Los Angeles, Miami and New York JFK.
Featured photo by Patrick T. Fallon for The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.