Lufthansa Expands Airbus A380 Offerings in US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus A380 fans, rejoice! Next year, you’ll have more ways to fly the superjumbo from US gateways.
Lufthansa announced Wednesday that it would start flying A380s from Munich to Boston in summer 2020 and keep the plane on its Munich-San Francisco route year-round, starting in summer 2020 as well. The airline will assess demand in Boston once the A380 flights start to determine if the plane will serve Beantown year-round or only seasonally.
The flights to Boston and off-peak flights to San Francisco are both currently operated by Airbus A340-600s.
Lufthansa has 14 A380s in its fleet. Beginning next year they will be evenly distributed across its hubs in Munich and Frankfurt. Currently, the carrier bases nine in Frankfurt and five in Munich.
The German airline’s superjumbos primarily serve American and Asian destinations. Lufthansa said the new A380 routes will not affect the other US cities that are currently served by the largest commercial airliner.
Elsewhere in the US, Lufthansa’s A380 also fly at least seasonally on routes between Germany and Houston Bush Intercontinental, Los Angeles, Miami and New York JFK.
Featured photo by Patrick T. Fallon for The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees