Lufthansa Expands Airbus A380 Offerings in US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus A380 fans, rejoice! Next year, you’ll have more ways to fly the superjumbo from US gateways.
Lufthansa announced Wednesday that it would start flying A380s from Munich to Boston in summer 2020 and keep the plane on its Munich-San Francisco route year-round, starting in summer 2020 as well. The airline will assess demand in Boston once the A380 flights start to determine if the plane will serve Beantown year-round or only seasonally.
The flights to Boston and off-peak flights to San Francisco are both currently operated by Airbus A340-600s.
Lufthansa has 14 A380s in its fleet. Beginning next year they will be evenly distributed across its hubs in Munich and Frankfurt. Currently, the carrier bases nine in Frankfurt and five in Munich.
The German airline’s superjumbos primarily serve American and Asian destinations. Lufthansa said the new A380 routes will not affect the other US cities that are currently served by the largest commercial airliner.
Elsewhere in the US, Lufthansa’s A380 also fly at least seasonally on routes between Germany and Houston Bush Intercontinental, Los Angeles, Miami and New York JFK.
Featured photo by Patrick T. Fallon for The Points Guy
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees