Lufthansa parks entire A380 fleet due to sharp decline in demand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa, Germany’s flag carrier and Europe’s largest legacy airline, has decided to temporarily ground its fleet of 14 Airbus A380s due to a sharp decline in bookings since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus.
According to an internal memo, the airline is only seeing a load factor of about 35% on its largest aircraft, a grim number that illustrates just how severe the drop in demand for air travel has been.
The superjumbos will be parked at least through the end of May, and will remain at the airline’s hubs in Frankfurt (FRA) and Munich (MUC). Lufthansa’s A380s have a total capacity of over 500 seats in a four-class configuration: first, business, premium economy and economy. Before the outbreak worsened in Europe, the airline flew the jets to Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA) and San Francisco (SFO) in the U.S.
The decision to ground the carrier’s largest aircraft comes just after it announced that it would be reducing its capacity by as much as 50% due to the drastic decline in demand. It’s also planning to implement cost-saving measures to help the airline weather the storm of bad news that the entire industry is facing at the moment.
It’s not just Lufthansa that’s taking action to mitigate the fallout from the spread of the coronavirus. U.S. airlines have reduced and/or suspended service to areas that are centers of the disease’s outbreak including mainland China, South Korea, Japan and Italy.
And yesterday, Cabo Verde Airlines became the first foreign carrier to suspend service to the U.S. as a result of the worsening outbreak of the coronavirus.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.