Cabo Verde Airlines first to suspend a US route amid coronavirus slump
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning Sunday, Cabo Verde Airlines will suspend its route between Sal, Cape Verde and Washington, D.C. through May 31.
This appears to be the first airline to suspend service to the U.S. because of fears about coronavirus in North America.
Previous route suspensions, such as those of U.S. airlines to destinations in Asia and Europe, have been in response to outbreak clusters abroad.
In a statement, Cabo Verde Airlines said the route suspension is a response to decreasing demand as a result of the virus.
“The current virus outbreak is affecting airlines worldwide. As a result of the outbreak, passenger demand has decreased significantly. Consequently, airlines have been reducing their flight schedules which also impacts Cabo Verde Airlines,” the statement said. The airline added that affected customers will be contacted with rebooking options, and emphasized that there are no known COVID-19 cases on the Cape Verde islands.
“Cabo Verde Airlines considers that Sal Island and the archipelago remains a safe destination for travelers and the airline will continue to serve other destinations in accordance with market demand,” the statement said.
The carrier’s service to Boston does not appear to be affected.
Featured photo by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.