Cabo Verde Airlines first to suspend a US route amid coronavirus slump
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beginning Sunday, Cabo Verde Airlines will suspend its route between Sal, Cape Verde and Washington, D.C. through May 31.
This appears to be the first airline to suspend service to the U.S. because of fears about coronavirus in North America.
Previous route suspensions, such as those of U.S. airlines to destinations in Asia and Europe, have been in response to outbreak clusters abroad.
In a statement, Cabo Verde Airlines said the route suspension is a response to decreasing demand as a result of the virus.
“The current virus outbreak is affecting airlines worldwide. As a result of the outbreak, passenger demand has decreased significantly. Consequently, airlines have been reducing their flight schedules which also impacts Cabo Verde Airlines,” the statement said. The airline added that affected customers will be contacted with rebooking options, and emphasized that there are no known COVID-19 cases on the Cape Verde islands.
“Cabo Verde Airlines considers that Sal Island and the archipelago remains a safe destination for travelers and the airline will continue to serve other destinations in accordance with market demand,” the statement said.
The carrier’s service to Boston does not appear to be affected.
Featured photo by Fabrizio Gandolfo/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.