JetBlue to offset carbon emissions for all domestic flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Delta offset carbon emissions for passengers traveling on Earth Day. Beginning later this year, JetBlue plans to do the same — for every single day of the year.
The carrier announced on Monday a massive program aimed at offsetting up to 17 billion pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions per year, which JetBlue states is the annual equivalent of removing more than 1.5 million passenger vehicles from the road.
Now, beginning in July 2020, JetBlue will partner with Carbonfund.org to offset all flights operating exclusively within the United States, through forest conservation projects, solar and wind farm development, and converting landfill gas into renewable energy, rather than allowing it to escape into the air.
Additionally, JetBlue notes that it is replacing older aircraft with more fuel-efficient models, including the Airbus A220 and A321neo. And, by mid-2020, JetBlue said it will operate flights from San Francisco (SFO) with “Neste MY Renewable Jet Fuel,” which the carrier said has up to an 80% smaller carbon footprint when compared with conventional jet fuel.
Not flying JetBlue? A number of U.S. carriers make it easy to add carbon offsets, or you can purchase them on your own — in many cases, you’ll spend less than $10 to offset even the longest domestic flights.
Featured photo of JetBlue’s A321neo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.