JetBlue to offset carbon emissions for all domestic flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last year, Delta offset carbon emissions for passengers traveling on Earth Day. Beginning later this year, JetBlue plans to do the same — for every single day of the year.
The carrier announced on Monday a massive program aimed at offsetting up to 17 billion pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions per year, which JetBlue states is the annual equivalent of removing more than 1.5 million passenger vehicles from the road.
Now, beginning in July 2020, JetBlue will partner with Carbonfund.org to offset all flights operating exclusively within the United States, through forest conservation projects, solar and wind farm development, and converting landfill gas into renewable energy, rather than allowing it to escape into the air.
Additionally, JetBlue notes that it is replacing older aircraft with more fuel-efficient models, including the Airbus A220 and A321neo. And, by mid-2020, JetBlue said it will operate flights from San Francisco (SFO) with “Neste MY Renewable Jet Fuel,” which the carrier said has up to an 80% smaller carbon footprint when compared with conventional jet fuel.
Not flying JetBlue? A number of U.S. carriers make it easy to add carbon offsets, or you can purchase them on your own — in many cases, you’ll spend less than $10 to offset even the longest domestic flights.
Featured photo of JetBlue’s A321neo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.