EasyJet to offset carbon emissions on all flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
EasyJet’s famous for its bright orange and white livery. As of Tuesday, however, the airline’s going green in a major way.
The second-biggest low-cost carrier in Europe after Ryanair announced on Tuesday it plans to be the world’s first major airline to operate net-zero carbon flights across its network. According to a press release, as of Tuesday, the airline will offset carbon emissions from fuel used for all flights.
EasyJet’s carbon offsetting will be vetted according to Gold Standard and VCS, two international standards used to measure carbon offsets. EasyJet CEO Johan Lundgren said that the carbon offset program will cost about £25 million per year, or $32 million, according to Reuters, though he admitted it’s not a long-term solution.
“We recognize that offsetting is only an interim measure, but we want to take action on our carbon emissions now,” Lundgren said. Since 2000, the airline says it has reduced the carbon emissions for each kilometer flown by a passenger by more than 33%.
In addition to carbon-offsetting its flights, EasyJet said it’s also signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Airbus to join a research project on hybrid and electric aircraft, with the goal of introducing sustainable aircraft operations. It’s also working with engine makers Rolls-Royce and Safran and with electric-airplane startup Wright Electric to develop new technology to reduce the carbon footprint of flying.
In reality, mass electric flying is likely a long way off. But EasyJet believes by investing in research now, it’s setting itself up to be at the forefront of the introduction of electric flying technology, having previously detailed plans to have an electric fleet by 2030.
“EasyJet has a long tradition of efficient flying — the aircraft we fly and the way we fly them means that EasyJet is already more efficient than many airlines,” Lundgren said. “However, our priority is to continue to work on reducing our carbon footprint in the short-term, coupled with long-term work to support the development of new technology, including electric planes which aspire to radically reduce the carbon footprint of aviation.”
The airline also reported a pretax net profit of £427 million ($552 milion) — in line with guidance, though down 26% from last year largely because of rising fuel prices. However, the carrier said that bookings for first-half 2020 are “reassuring” and slightly ahead of last year.
Featured photo by FABRICE COFFRINI/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees