Air France will carbon-offset all domestic flights in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air France announced it will offset the emissions of all of its domestic flights from January 1, 2020. This initiative will cover 450 flights and about 57,000 passengers each day.
The SkyTeam member will do so by contributing to certified offset projects through EcoAct, which allocates funds and operates offset projects including reforestation, forest preservation and biodiversity.
Many airlines already provide the option to passengers when booking flights to pay a small additional fee to offset the carbon emission from those flights. Air France will instead be automatically offsetting the emissions for all French domestic flights, without the need for an additional payment from passengers. The airline did not specify whether it will pass on the cost to passengers as part of the ticket price.
The news follows partner KLM’s decision to replace one of its daily Amsterdam to Brussels flights with a train service, as travelers in the region become more conscious of their own carbon footprint, especially on short journeys that could be made by land or by air. Air France operates numerous domestic trips across France that could also be taken by road or rail.
Last month, low-cost airline EasyJet also announced that it would offset the carbon emissions of all flights immediately, at a cost to the airline of around £25 million ($32 million) per year.
Air France plans to reduce its total CO2 emissions by 50% per passenger/km by 2030 when compared to 2005.
Featured image of an Air France Airbus A320 by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees