Air France will carbon-offset all domestic flights in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air France announced it will offset the emissions of all of its domestic flights from January 1, 2020. This initiative will cover 450 flights and about 57,000 passengers each day.
The SkyTeam member will do so by contributing to certified offset projects through EcoAct, which allocates funds and operates offset projects including reforestation, forest preservation and biodiversity.
Many airlines already provide the option to passengers when booking flights to pay a small additional fee to offset the carbon emission from those flights. Air France will instead be automatically offsetting the emissions for all French domestic flights, without the need for an additional payment from passengers. The airline did not specify whether it will pass on the cost to passengers as part of the ticket price.
The news follows partner KLM’s decision to replace one of its daily Amsterdam to Brussels flights with a train service, as travelers in the region become more conscious of their own carbon footprint, especially on short journeys that could be made by land or by air. Air France operates numerous domestic trips across France that could also be taken by road or rail.
Last month, low-cost airline EasyJet also announced that it would offset the carbon emissions of all flights immediately, at a cost to the airline of around £25 million ($32 million) per year.
Air France plans to reduce its total CO2 emissions by 50% per passenger/km by 2030 when compared to 2005.
Featured image of an Air France Airbus A320 by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.