Delta’s Going Big for Earth Day, Offsetting Customers’ Carbon Emissions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re flying on a domestic flight with Delta, you might just get your carbon emissions covered by the airline. In celebration of Earth Day, Delta plans to purchase carbon offsets for more than 300,000 passengers — a massive uptick from the 170,000 customers it offset for Earth Day in 2018, 100,000 in 2017 and 7,000 in 2016.
“Delta led the US aviation industry by launching the first carbon offset program in 2007, making it easy for customers to reduce the environmental impact of their travel,” said John Laughter, Senior Vice President – Corporate Safety, Security and Compliance. “Delta is also the only major airline to voluntarily cap carbon emissions at 2012 levels by purchasing carbon offsets.”
Passengers flying on domestic routes out of New York, Boston, Seattle, Los Angeles, Raleigh-Durham and Atlanta will have their carbon emissions for the flight offset by Delta. Passengers will also be given plantable seed paper cutouts in the shape of airplanes. Delta hopes that passengers will be inspired to continue the effort to offset carbon by planting the paper and using Delta’s Carbon Calculator program to offset their future travel as well.
The offsets purchased for Earth Day will go to benefit the Conservation Coast project. The project provides environmental protection from deforestation and helps give sustainable livelihood opportunities for communities in Guatemala. The offsets purchased will go towards helping conserve more than 400 bird species as well as more than 50,000 hectares of rainforests along the Caribbean coast of Guatemala.
If you’re interested in reducing your carbon emissions by purchasing offsets for your own flights, it’s cheaper than might you think. For example, a round-trip from Atlanta to New York produces about 0.28 metric tons of CO2, which can be offset for less than $5. Check out Delta’s site to calculate and purchase offsets using Delta’s carbon offset program, then dig into our comprehensive guide to carbon offset programs across the aviation industry.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image of a Delta 767 flying over Munich, Germany by Darren Murph/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees