British Airways now carbon offsetting all domestic flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the start of 2020, British Airways has begun its carbon offset initiative. As of the beginning of the year, all domestic flights operated by the airline are now carbon neutral.
The change is part of the airline’s larger goal to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050. Many airlines — including British Airways — already offer customers the option to pay a small additional fee to offset the carbon impact of their flight during the booking process, though this is optional. British Airways will instead bear the cost of this for domestic flights at no additional cost to the passenger, including no rise in domestic airfares. The carbon reduction programs chosen by the airline include renewable energy, protection of rainforests and reforestation programs.
BA operates up to 75 daily domestic flights from various London hubs to 10 UK cities including: Aberdeen (ABZ), Belfast City (BFS), Edinburgh (EDI), Glasgow (GLA), Isle of Man (IOM), Inverness (INV), Jersey (JER), Leeds (LBA), Manchester (MAN) and Newcastle (NCL).
With the new policy in effect, passengers flying internationally will continue to have the option to pay for their own carbon offsetting. The airline will continue to utilize its carbon offsetting tool, allowing passengers to calculate their emissions. According to a press release, BA said that passengers can expect to pay around $1.32 to offset a return flight between London and Madrid in economy. A flight between New York and London in business class will cost around $20.
“Solving the complex issue of climate change requires a multifaceted response, and offsetting emissions on all flights within the UK is just one step that we are adopting to reduce our environmental impact while more solutions to decarbonise are found”, Alex Cruz, chairman and CEO of British Airways, said of the initiative.
Other European airlines have already begun similar carbon offset programs. Air France will also begin offsetting domestic flights this year, and low-cost giant EasyJet now offsets all flights, becoming the first major airline to do so.
British Airways continues to invest in more fuel-efficient aircraft such as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and Airbus A350 families, while retiring aircraft like the Boeing 747, which burn through more fuel.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.