British Airways now carbon offsetting all domestic flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the start of 2020, British Airways has begun its carbon offset initiative. As of the beginning of the year, all domestic flights operated by the airline are now carbon neutral.
The change is part of the airline’s larger goal to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050. Many airlines — including British Airways — already offer customers the option to pay a small additional fee to offset the carbon impact of their flight during the booking process, though this is optional. British Airways will instead bear the cost of this for domestic flights at no additional cost to the passenger, including no rise in domestic airfares. The carbon reduction programs chosen by the airline include renewable energy, protection of rainforests and reforestation programs.
BA operates up to 75 daily domestic flights from various London hubs to 10 UK cities including: Aberdeen (ABZ), Belfast City (BFS), Edinburgh (EDI), Glasgow (GLA), Isle of Man (IOM), Inverness (INV), Jersey (JER), Leeds (LBA), Manchester (MAN) and Newcastle (NCL).
With the new policy in effect, passengers flying internationally will continue to have the option to pay for their own carbon offsetting. The airline will continue to utilize its carbon offsetting tool, allowing passengers to calculate their emissions. According to a press release, BA said that passengers can expect to pay around $1.32 to offset a return flight between London and Madrid in economy. A flight between New York and London in business class will cost around $20.
“Solving the complex issue of climate change requires a multifaceted response, and offsetting emissions on all flights within the UK is just one step that we are adopting to reduce our environmental impact while more solutions to decarbonise are found”, Alex Cruz, chairman and CEO of British Airways, said of the initiative.
Other European airlines have already begun similar carbon offset programs. Air France will also begin offsetting domestic flights this year, and low-cost giant EasyJet now offsets all flights, becoming the first major airline to do so.
British Airways continues to invest in more fuel-efficient aircraft such as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and Airbus A350 families, while retiring aircraft like the Boeing 747, which burn through more fuel.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees