JetBlue takes delivery of Airbus A321LR that will soon fly to London
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
JetBlue is another step toward launching its service to London. Airbus announced on Thursday that JetBlue has taken delivery of its first A321LR, which will eventually operate the carrier’s transatlantic routes.
In total, JetBlue has 13 of the long-range Airbus A321 aircraft on order. Thursday’s delivery marks the first of those to be delivered to the New York-based airline.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more airline news!
Registered as N4022J, JetBlue received the aircraft at Airbus’ Hamburg factory, with the plane featuring the airline’s “streamers” tail. Currently, it’s en route back to the U.S., according to data from FlightRadar24 — presumably to the airline’s hub in New York.
The airline plans to launch flights between New York (JFK) and Boston (BOS) to an undisclosed London airport — or airports — later this year. JetBlue has secured slots at both London Heathrow (LHR) and London Gatwick (LGW). If JetBlue does in fact begin flights to Heathrow, it would operate in and out of Terminal 2.
Inside the A321LR, passengers can expect Airbus’ Airspace cabins on the single-aisle aircraft. The Airspace interior features customizable lighting, slimmer wall panels, larger overhead bins and more. JetBlue will outfit the plane with 24 lie-flat suites in its Mint business-class cabin — both the Mint Suite and Mint Studio — and 114 seats in economy.
The Mint Studio and Mint Suite products will be a noticeable upgrade from the carrier’s existing Mint cabin, which largely fly on transcontinental routes, and is considered by many to be the best domestic premium product in the U.S.
Economy seats feature 32 inches of pitch on seats that are 18.4 inches wide. In economy, JetBlue has also announced its catering partner, Dig, which will allow passengers to build their own meal using the seatback entertainment screen. All passengers, regardless of cabin, will be able to use JetBlue’s free high-speed Wi-Fi, in-seat power and seatback entertainment.
“At JetBlue we are eagerly looking forward to introducing the Airbus A321 Long Range single-aisle aircraft with Airbus’ Airspace interior for our new transatlantic services,” JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes said in a statement. “These aircraft will allow us to offer our customers attentive, boutique-style service, while also ensuring ample personal space, larger overhead bins, customized lighting and a design that gives the cabin a wide-body feel.”
The A321LR aircraft is a longer-range variant of the airline’s existing fleet of A321neo aircraft. The LR version has a range of 4,700 miles, allowing it to operate the transatlantic routes from the U.S. East Coast to London — and perhaps beyond to other destinations in Europe.
Featured photo courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees