JetBlue is now charging for domestic Mint Studio ‘upgrades’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well that didn’t take long! When JetBlue began selling its first flights with the new Airbus A321neo Mint suites Thursday morning, 1A and 1F — the two larger “studios” — were available for anyone to select. Now they come along with a $199 one-way upgrade fee.
It’s a logical move — the airline’s bulkhead studios are shaping up to be the very best domestic business-class option when they start flying between New York-JFK and Los Angeles (LAX) on June 1, and adding a fee will help keep them open for travelers who really want the extra space, rather than simply rewarding flyers who lock in a flight far enough in advance.
Notably, JetBlue’s older suites in rows 2 and 4 on the Airbus A321 don’t come along with an up charge, so this is a premium-cabin first.
Just as with the airline’s economy Even More Space offering, you can either make your selection at booking or after you pay for your flight.
JetBlue Mosaic members may see an option to select a studio for just 8,300 points — well above TPG’s 1.3-cent valuation for TrueBlue points. We’d love to see the airline add more options for Mosaics, including confirmed upgrade vouchers or an option to stand by for a same-day upgrade for free.
Personally, I’d even pay the $199 to move up, especially if I’m flying with another passenger who can take advantage of the “buddy seat,” letting us enjoy a meal together at 30,000 feet. There are a number of other perks, too, as JetBlue outlines when you select a studio:
Are 1A and 1F already booked? Under normal circumstances, I’d recommend setting up an alert with TPG’s sister site ExpertFlyer, but because of the way JetBlue processes seat upgrades, studios will always show as “occupied” — you’ll need to keep checking JetBlue’s site to see if they open up.
While we have yet to confirm this, it’s possible that post-purchase upgrades will be eligible for the annual airline fee statement credit available with The Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200), the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card (up to $250) and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (up to $200). Enrollment required for select benefits.
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
We’re also expecting JetBlue to add a fee to select a studio on flights between the East Coast and London when they launch later this year. While the airline has yet to confirm pricing, based on what we’re seeing for transcon upgrades, I’d expect studios to come along with a $299 up charge on flights across the pond.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees