Israel to reopen to fully vaccinated tourists from May 23
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Israel will be reopening to tourists this summer. The country’s Minister of Tourism Orit Farkash-Hacohen and Minister of Health Yuli Edelstein announced on Tuesday that Israel will allow fully vaccinated tourists to visit from May.
As of May 23, limited numbers of fully vaccinated tourists will be allowed to enter Israel on a leisure basis in groups. Once the borders have reopened to vaccinated travelers, it will be the first time in more than a year that Israel has reopened to non-citizens.
Following an extremely successful vaccination program to date, Israel is ready to welcome back tourists who have been fully vaccinated from COVID-19 this summer.
Even though permitted travelers will be vaccinated, Haaretz reports that Israel will require that all arriving passengers have a negative PCR test for COVID-19 before flying as well as an antibody test to prove they have been vaccinated or recovered from COVID-19. Arriving passengers will also have to undergo a serological test to prove their vaccination status upon their arrival at Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion International Airport (TLV).
The country is also undergoing conversations in order to establish a vaccine certification for travelers, which would remove the need for a passenger to take a serological test on arrival.
Full details of the program, including who will be allowed in and in what numbers, will be announced by the Israeli government “in the coming days.”
It’s believed that as of May 23 when the border reopens that Israel will permit only those traveling in groups. Assuming that infection rates within the country don’t rise after the initial reopening, Farkash-Hacohen said Israel will also reopen to individual travelers.
“It is time Israel’s unique advantage as a safe and healthy country starts to assist it in recovering from the economic crisis,” Farkash-Hacohen said. “Opening the skies for international tourism will truly revive the tourism industry, including restaurants, hotels, sites, tour guides, buses and others looking to work and provide for their families.”
According to Reuters, Israel has administered at least 10 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines so far — about 56.8% of the population. During the past week, Israel averaged about 21,490 doses each day. The country has widely been regarded as having one of the best vaccine rollout plans.
The rate of infection within the country has also been falling. Per 100,000 people in the past seven days, Israel has reported 17 infections. Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 836,072 cases of COVID-19 in Israel, as well as nearly 6,300 coronavirus-related deaths.
Featured photo by kolderal/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees