Lufthansa flying its Boeing 747, Airbus A350 on select intra-Europe routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s something you don’t see often: Lufthansa plans to fly its Boeing 747-8 and Airbus A350 wide-body aircraft on two short-haul routes this summer.
As reported by Paddle Your Own Kanoo, the German airline’s 364-seat 747-8 will fly between Frankfurt (FRA) and Mallorca (PMI) on four Saturdays between mid-July and early August, which are typically peak times for European leisure travel.
We rarely see planes this large fly intra-Europe. This route is typically operated by an A320, so the upgrade signals a surge in demand for European leisure travel this summer as lockdown measures loosen and borders reopen.
Stay up-to-date on airline and aviation news by signing up for our brand-new aviation newsletter.
You can also select some premium economy seats without paying an extra fee. That said, I was not able to select a first-class seat on a business class booking. These may be saved for Lufthansa HON Circle elites.
Further, Lufthansa is also flying its newest plane — its Airbus A350-900 — from Munich (MUC) to Mallorca as a one-off service on July 31. This represents a huge upgrade from the A320 that normally operates this route. This A350 is equipped with proper international business class and premium economy seats, so it’s sure to provide a more comfortable ride.
Pricing and award space
Most flights on the Frankfurt to Mallorca route start at around $225 one-way on the 747-operated flight in economy class this summer. The cheapest business class ticket I found on this route was $381 one-way, which may be worthwhile if you’re based in Europe and want to sample Lufthansa’s lie-flat business class.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find saver award space on this route.
It’s really cool to see Lufthansa bring two of its best airplanes to intra-Europe routes this summer. To me, it’s a sign that European travel demand is picking back up as the coronavirus pandemic subsides around the region.
If you’re an AV geek flying from the U.S. or U.K. to Mallorca this summer, you may want to route your flights through Frankfurt or Munich. This is a special opportunity to fly the Queen of The Skies on a very nontraditional route.
Feature photo by Lukas Wunderlich/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees