This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The IHG hotel group is perhaps more known by travelers for budget-conscious no-nonsense Holiday Inn Express properties than for its high-end hotel brands like InterContinental. But, IHG is making a big move into the luxury hotel market with a majority acquisition of the ultra-luxe Regent Hotels & Resorts, an investment that completed in July 2018.
Last week, we learned that IHG Rewards members will be able to redeem IHG points at these Regent properties starting Feb. 1, 2019. Now, a couple of days before these properties open to award night bookings, we now have the redemption rates for the currently-open properties:
- Regent Beijing: 50,000 IHG Rewards points per night
- Regent Chongqing: 50,000 IHG Rewards points per night
- Regent Berlin: 50,000 IHG Rewards points per night
- Regent Singapore: 55,000 IHG Rewards points per night
- Regent Taipei: 60,000 IHG Rewards points per night
- Regent Porto Montenegro: 60,000 IHG Rewards points per night
TPG currently values IHG Rewards points at 0.5 cents each. So, at TPG valuations, a night at the Beijing or Chongqing properties will require $250 per night in points. The Berlin and Singapore properties will require $275 per night in points, and the Taipei and Porto Montenegro locations will cost $300 worth of points per night.
It shouldn’t be a surprise that these ultra-luxury properties are pretty high on the IHG award chart. It’s actually nice to see that IHG didn’t price any of these properties at its current maximum of 70,000 points per night.
Still, if you’re looking to redeem points for a stay at one of these Regent hotels, you’re going to need a bunch of points. If you need to add to your balance, you’ve got two main options:
- Buy IHG Rewards points for as little as 0.57 cents each through IHG’s current buy points promotion.
- Sign-up for the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card and earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening plus an additional 40,000 bonus points after spending a total of $5,000 on purchases within 6 months of account opening
One of the perks of that IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card can help you stretch your IHG points much further. Cardholders automatically get every fourth award night free. That means you’ll be able to book a four-night award stay at the Regent Berlin for a total of 150,000 IHG Rewards points. During the current buy points promotion, you can buy those points for $860 total.
While $860 is still a decent amount to pay out-of-pocket, this breaks down to just $238 per night. That’s not bad at a property like the Regent Berlin — where cash prices can be much more than that:
That said, make sure that you check cash prices to make sure that you’re getting a good use from your points. And that’s especially important to do before you buy IHG points for any specific redemption.
This piece has been updated since publishing to reflect that the Regent Berlin has been changed to 50,000 points per night instead of the originally-planned 55,000 points per night.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn up to 120,000 points, worth up to $600 with the IHG Rewards Premier Card. With this card you'll get IHG Rewards Platinum Elite status which more than negates the value of the $89 annual fee. You'll also earn 10 points per dollar at IHG hotels, 2 points per dollar on gas stations, grocery stores and restaurants and 1 point per dollar on everything else.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening plus an additional 40,000 bonus points after spending a total of $5,000 on purchases within 6 months of account opening
- Enjoy a Free Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a free reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn 10 points per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®