IHG extends loyalty benefits again, continues pause on point expiration
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information
Like most hotel programs, IHG Rewards extended any status held in 2020 to 2021. The program also extended anniversary award night certificates and lowered elite qualification requirements for this year. It’s been running some enticing promotions, too, including the opportunity to fast-track elite status. And finally, it issued yet another round of extensions this week for certain loyalty perks, which members should begin noticing in their accounts now.
There are many changes to keep track of, so here’s a complete guide with everything you need to know. We’ll update this page as more changes are announced so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for new information.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
Elite status extension
Last year, IHG announced that it would automatically extend all elite status levels through January 2022 — regardless of how many nights you completed in 2020. This was similar to Hilton and Hyatt’s previously announced moves and is slightly more generous than Marriott’s announcement. It even includes extensions for members who earned status via a status match.
This means elite members have a full additional year to enjoy benefits like complimentary room upgrades and late checkout. For Spire Elite members, this includes the choice benefit of 25,000 bonus points or gifting of Platinum Elite status to someone each year. InterContinental Royal Ambassador and Kimpton Inner Circle members will maintain their memberships in the invite-only programs.
Related: Best hotel credit cards
IHG extending reward night certificates, points expiration
Existing certificates set to expire March 1, 2020, or later were originally extended through Dec. 31, 2020, and then again to at least Aug. 31, 2021. Now, they’ve been extended once again, and any certificate issued in 2020 will expire on Dec. 31, 2021. Members should begin noticing new expiration dates in their accounts in the coming days.
Points never expire for elites — which includes holders of the IHG Premier card thanks to the automatic Platinum status it confers. However, IHG paused points expiration (points normally expire after 12 months of inactivity) for all other members — first through at least June 30, 2021, and now once more through Dec. 31, 2021.
Reduced 2021 IHG elite requirements
IHG also offers a helping hand for general members chasing status or current elites hoping to move up a tier. Like last year, it has reduced the requirements for earning elite status by roughly 25%.
Additionally, all qualifying nights earned by elite members in 2020 have been rolled over into 2021 — so you should see those reflected in your IHG Rewards account.
If you are concerned about meeting these requirements, do note that having the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card conveys IHG Platinum elite status without any stay requirements. Holders of the IHG Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card can earn IHG Gold Elite status by spending $10,000 or more each calendar year.
The information for the IHG Traveler Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Status fast track opportunity
Through Aug. 31, 2021, any traveler can register for a fast-track promotion that allows members to earn Platinum status after just five nights. Or, you can get Gold status with just two nights.
Here is the breakdown:
- Stay 5 nights within 90 days of registration to earn Platinum Elite status until December 2022
- Stay 2 nights within 90 days of registration to earn Gold Elite status until December 2022
If you’re interested in taking advantage of this promotion, you must register before checking into your first eligible stay. The promotion is valid for stays between March 8, 2021 and Nov. 29, 2021 and the nightly rate needs to be at least $30. Best of all, the offer can be combined with other IHG promotions currently available.
Despite the travel industry having begun its recovery in earnest, earning elite status the normal way this year could still be a challenge for most people. So, it’s great to see that IHG is yet again adjusting the validity of elite status, upgrade certificates and other expiring perks. Time will tell whether any other competing programs will follow IHG’s lead in issuing a further round of loyalty benefit extensions.
Additional reporting by Andrew Kunesh and Katherine Fan.
Featured photo of the Mr & Mrs Smith Anahita Golf & Spa Resort courtesy of IHG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees