Buy Hyatt points with a 25% discount, as low as 1.8 cents apiece
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information.
Through April 30, you can receive 25% off when you purchase 5,000 Hyatt points or more.
Without any bonus, Hyatt points sell for 2.4 cents apiece. However, with the 25% discount, you can get them at a rate of 1.8 cents each. TPG values Hyatt points at 1.7 cents each, though in many cases, you can get much more value. So, buying Hyatt points during this promotion could make sense.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Should you buy Hyatt points now?
The global coronavirus pandemic is not over yet. As a result, there are a couple of things you should consider before you take advantage of this promotion or buy hotel points of any type.
Firstly, the entire hospitality industry is struggling financially. We’re confident that Hyatt will make it through this downturn, but in a worst-case scenario where they go bankrupt or insolvent, your newly purchased points could be rendered worthless. You wouldn’t receive a refund for the points in this type of situation either.
Additionally, bear in mind that Hyatt will be introducing peak and off-peak pricing and making some award category changes later in 2021. If you want to lock in future stays at the current rates, make sure to familiarize yourself with Hyatt’s change and cancellation policies before you buy the points.
However, if those caveats aren’t an issue for you, then this deal could be worth taking advantage of. This is especially true if you’re planning late-2021 or early 2022 travel and want to cover high-cost stays with World of Hyatt points.
The Hyatt award chart starts at just 5,000 points per night. At the optimal 1.8 cents per point rate, you can buy award nights starting at just $90. And there are some excellent options at just 5,000 points each, such as the Hyatt Regency Kuantan Resort. Additionally, you can now use points toward booking Hyatt suites.
If you’re looking for more inspiration on how to redeem Hyatt points for maximum value, here are some great options:
- The best U.S. Category 1 Hyatt properties — including Hyatt House properties in Colorado, Philadelphia, Houston and more
- The best international Category 1 Hyatt properties — including an incredible Park Hyatt in India, a Hyatt Place in Cabo and a Hyatt House in the heart of Mexico City
- Family-focused Category 1 to 4 Hyatt properties — including a property in Colorado that offers free ski lift passes and great hotels for road trips
- TPG readers’ favorite Hyatt redemptions — from Hyatt properties in New York City to Hong Kong
- Ways to maximize your Hyatt redemptions — including using points to upgrade to a better room
Remember that you can also redeem as few as 2,500 points plus a cash copay through Points + Cash redemptions. Also, award nights count toward elite status.
Other ways to get Hyatt points
No matter how good of a deal the buy-points promotion is, there are still many other ways to earn Hyatt points. Using a credit card sign-up bonus can be a much cheaper way of stocking up. You can do so directly through the World of Hyatt Credit Card, currently offering up to 60,000 bonus points. You’ll earn 30,000 Bonus Points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. Plus, up to 30,000 more Bonus Points by earning 2 Bonus Points total per $1 spent on purchases that normally earn 1 Bonus Point, on up to $15,000 in the first six months of account opening.
Also, you can transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards to Hyatt at a 1:1 ratio. If you’re short on Ultimate Rewards points, the highest sign-up bonus available now is the Ink Business Preferred Credit Card‘s 100,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
You could also earn 60,000 bonus points on the Chase Sapphire Reserve by spending $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Meanwhile, the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card offers 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening.
How to buy Hyatt points with a 25% discount
If you’re interested in taking advantage of this deal, here are the step-by-step directions:
- Visit Hyatt’s Buy Points link.
- Enter your World of Hyatt membership number, name and email address.
- Select the number of points you want to purchase (minimum 5,000 to get the discount), enter your credit card information and billing address, agree to the terms and conditions and click Purchase Bonus Points.
Keep in mind that the usual restrictions for purchasing Hyatt points apply to these transactions, including:
- You must purchase points in increments of 1,000 points up to a maximum of 55,000 points per calendar year.
- Any purchased points will not count toward qualification for any increased or improved status or elite membership in the World of Hyatt program.
This discount will be available through April. 30, 2021.
Which credit card to use to purchase
Hyatt point purchases are processed by Points.com, so they won’t code as travel. You won’t earn bonus points from cards such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve. (Return percentages based on TPG valuations and not provided by the issuer)
Consider using The Blue Business®️ Plus Credit Card from American Express (2x Membership Rewards points on the first $50,000 in purchases per calendar year – a 4% return — then 1x after, terms apply), Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5% cash back/1.5 Ultimate Rewards points, 3% return) or Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card 2x miles on all purchases, which you can redeem for cash back or 2.8 cents of value toward transfer partners based on TPG valuations).
If you have the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card and have chosen online purchases as your category, you can get at least 3% cash back on these purchases (on the first $2,500 in combined choice/category purchases each quarter; then 1%). If you have significant assets with Bank of America and affiliates, you can get up to 5.25% cash back on these purchases.
Related: The best hotel credit cards
Additional reporting by Andrew Kunesh and JT Genter
Featured photo of the Park Hyatt Aviara courtesy of Hyatt
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees