Expect Hour-Long Flight Delays at These Airports Memorial Day Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Memorial Day is fast approaching — but if your long weekend plans include flying out of an airport on the Eastern seaboard, you may want to brace for long lines and hour-long delays.
According to The Washington Post, a new analysis of federal transportation data by ValuePenguin shows that New York City-area airports are likely to be two of the worst in the nation for departure delays in the days preceding Memorial Day.
At John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), holiday weekend flights can, on average, be delayed for more than an hour — as can those at LaGuardia Airport (LGA).
Departure delays at Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) averaged 57 minutes, and Dulles International Airport (IAD) in the Washington, DC, area and Florida’s Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) performed only slightly better.
The analysis also suggested that the delays are expected to be most severe on the Thursday prior to Memorial Day (May 24).
Though JFK, LGA and PHL are expected to be three of the worst airports for departure delays this weekend, things could be much nastier at other airports during peak summer travel.
Based on a recent TPG evaluation of Bureau of Transportation Statistics, we expect departure delays between June and August of this year to be particularly severe at Dallas Love Field (DAL), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and Newark Liberty International (EWR). (New York City’s JFK performed only incrementally better than this trio of airports for summertime averages.)
Though the American Automobile Association (AAA) projects air travel during Memorial Day weekend to grow 6.8% year over year, airports could still be preferable to roads. More than 41.5 million Americans are expected to pile into cars and cover more than 50 miles between Thursday, May 24 and Monday, May 28.
Not deterred by the statistics? Consider one of these awesome last-minute Memorial Day weekend getaways you can book entirely with points and miles.
Featured image by Spencer Platt/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees