This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer travel is on the rise, according to TripAdvisor’s Summer Vacation Value Report, released early Tuesday morning.
Of the 3,300 US travelers surveyed, 87% are planning to take a summer vacation — and 91% of those respondents will keep their travel within the US.
With Summer Fridays fast approaching, it’s time to get serious about booking your summer travel (if you haven’t already). And fortunately, it’s not too late to find solid savings.
An earlier TripAdvisor report suggested travelers book airfare three to four weeks out from a summer vacation for the most significant savings, while the Summer Vacation Value Report found that some of the best deals on hotel rooms can even be found the week of Memorial Day, when compared to peak summer rates.
“[We] found that travelers can save big on their summer vacation, even in the most popular spots, by knowing when to book and when to go,” explained Brooke Ferencsik, TripAdvisor’s senior director of communications, in a statement. “It’s not too late to find outstanding summer travel deals.”
For travelers interested in last-minute Memorial Day weekend getaways, you may not have far to look for inspiration.
One of the most popular destinations for summer travel, Nantucket, will be the least expensive the week of May 28, with travelers saving 31%. Also in Massachusetts, the popular Cape Cod island of Martha’s Vineyard will be 33% cheaper that same week, while Ocean City, Maryland will be 24% cheaper.
In Wyoming, travelers bound for hiking and kayaking in Jackson Hole can save 20% the week following Memorial Day.
But Mackinac Island, Michigan — which saw the greatest increase in booking interest this season — is best visited the week of June 4, when travelers will enjoy modest 8% savings on a charming trip to this car-free destination. Floating in Lake Huron, this stuck-in-time island is famous for its house-made fudge and fondness for horse-drawn carriages.
Of course, it’s also possible to spend a lot less on your summer vacation — and in some cases almost nothing — by utilizing points and miles. Check out our guide on how to “Use Points and Miles to Book an Awesome Summer Vacation” for some of the best places to visit for nearly free by booking flight and hotel awards this upcoming summer.
Featured image by alexeys / Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees