How to Save up to 33% on Summer Travel, According to TripAdvisor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Summer travel is on the rise, according to TripAdvisor’s Summer Vacation Value Report, released early Tuesday morning.
Of the 3,300 US travelers surveyed, 87% are planning to take a summer vacation — and 91% of those respondents will keep their travel within the US.
With Summer Fridays fast approaching, it’s time to get serious about booking your summer travel (if you haven’t already). And fortunately, it’s not too late to find solid savings.
An earlier TripAdvisor report suggested travelers book airfare three to four weeks out from a summer vacation for the most significant savings, while the Summer Vacation Value Report found that some of the best deals on hotel rooms can even be found the week of Memorial Day, when compared to peak summer rates.
“[We] found that travelers can save big on their summer vacation, even in the most popular spots, by knowing when to book and when to go,” explained Brooke Ferencsik, TripAdvisor’s senior director of communications, in a statement. “It’s not too late to find outstanding summer travel deals.”
For travelers interested in last-minute Memorial Day weekend getaways, you may not have far to look for inspiration.
One of the most popular destinations for summer travel, Nantucket, will be the least expensive the week of May 28, with travelers saving 31%. Also in Massachusetts, the popular Cape Cod island of Martha’s Vineyard will be 33% cheaper that same week, while Ocean City, Maryland will be 24% cheaper.
In Wyoming, travelers bound for hiking and kayaking in Jackson Hole can save 20% the week following Memorial Day.
But Mackinac Island, Michigan — which saw the greatest increase in booking interest this season — is best visited the week of June 4, when travelers will enjoy modest 8% savings on a charming trip to this car-free destination. Floating in Lake Huron, this stuck-in-time island is famous for its house-made fudge and fondness for horse-drawn carriages.
Of course, it’s also possible to spend a lot less on your summer vacation — and in some cases almost nothing — by utilizing points and miles. Check out our guide on how to “Use Points and Miles to Book an Awesome Summer Vacation” for some of the best places to visit for nearly free by booking flight and hotel awards this upcoming summer.
Featured image by alexeys / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees