How to Save up to 33% on Summer Travel, According to TripAdvisor
Summer travel is on the rise, according to TripAdvisor’s Summer Vacation Value Report, released early Tuesday morning.
Of the 3,300 US travelers surveyed, 87% are planning to take a summer vacation — and 91% of those respondents will keep their travel within the US.
With Summer Fridays fast approaching, it’s time to get serious about booking your summer travel (if you haven’t already). And fortunately, it’s not too late to find solid savings.
An earlier TripAdvisor report suggested travelers book airfare three to four weeks out from a summer vacation for the most significant savings, while the Summer Vacation Value Report found that some of the best deals on hotel rooms can even be found the week of Memorial Day, when compared to peak summer rates.
“[We] found that travelers can save big on their summer vacation, even in the most popular spots, by knowing when to book and when to go,” explained Brooke Ferencsik, TripAdvisor’s senior director of communications, in a statement. “It’s not too late to find outstanding summer travel deals.”
For travelers interested in last-minute Memorial Day weekend getaways, you may not have far to look for inspiration.
One of the most popular destinations for summer travel, Nantucket, will be the least expensive the week of May 28, with travelers saving 31%. Also in Massachusetts, the popular Cape Cod island of Martha’s Vineyard will be 33% cheaper that same week, while Ocean City, Maryland will be 24% cheaper.
In Wyoming, travelers bound for hiking and kayaking in Jackson Hole can save 20% the week following Memorial Day.
But Mackinac Island, Michigan — which saw the greatest increase in booking interest this season — is best visited the week of June 4, when travelers will enjoy modest 8% savings on a charming trip to this car-free destination. Floating in Lake Huron, this stuck-in-time island is famous for its house-made fudge and fondness for horse-drawn carriages.
Of course, it’s also possible to spend a lot less on your summer vacation — and in some cases almost nothing — by utilizing points and miles. Check out our guide on how to “Use Points and Miles to Book an Awesome Summer Vacation” for some of the best places to visit for nearly free by booking flight and hotel awards this upcoming summer.
Featured image by alexeys / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.