41 Million Americans Will Travel This Memorial Day, Despite Highest Gas Prices In Four Years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Automobile Association (AAA) estimates that more than 41.5 million Americans plan to travel 50+ miles over Memorial Day weekend this year — the largest volume of vacationers on the road since 2005.
“A strong economy and growing consumer confidence are giving Americans all the motivation they need to kick off what we expect to be a busy summer travel season with a Memorial Day getaway,” said Bill Sutherland, senior vice president at AAA.
Despite gasoline prices at highest over four years, the nation’s largest automotive advocacy group, travel by car is expected to increase for the fourth consecutive year, up by almost 5% compared to Memorial Day 2017. Gas, which averaged $2.72 in April 2018, has increased by $0.33 since the same month last year due to rising crude oil prices and increasing demand. (If you’re one of those drivers, check out our tips on the best cards for rising gas prices.)
Aviation travel will see the highest growth margin across all modes of transportation with an estimated 3.13 million travelers hitting the airports, an estimated 6.8% increase from 2017 volumes. The rise may be correlated to cheaper airfare, which averaged 7% lower than Memorial Day 2017 travel fares according to the AAA Travel Leisure index, hovering around a $168 round-trip average ticket price between the top 40 domestic routes.
This year, Memorial Day weekend begins Thursday, May 24, and ends Monday, May 28.
Featured photo courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees