41 Million Americans Will Travel This Memorial Day, Despite Highest Gas Prices In Four Years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Automobile Association (AAA) estimates that more than 41.5 million Americans plan to travel 50+ miles over Memorial Day weekend this year — the largest volume of vacationers on the road since 2005.
“A strong economy and growing consumer confidence are giving Americans all the motivation they need to kick off what we expect to be a busy summer travel season with a Memorial Day getaway,” said Bill Sutherland, senior vice president at AAA.
Despite gasoline prices at highest over four years, the nation’s largest automotive advocacy group, travel by car is expected to increase for the fourth consecutive year, up by almost 5% compared to Memorial Day 2017. Gas, which averaged $2.72 in April 2018, has increased by $0.33 since the same month last year due to rising crude oil prices and increasing demand. (If you’re one of those drivers, check out our tips on the best cards for rising gas prices.)
Aviation travel will see the highest growth margin across all modes of transportation with an estimated 3.13 million travelers hitting the airports, an estimated 6.8% increase from 2017 volumes. The rise may be correlated to cheaper airfare, which averaged 7% lower than Memorial Day 2017 travel fares according to the AAA Travel Leisure index, hovering around a $168 round-trip average ticket price between the top 40 domestic routes.
This year, Memorial Day weekend begins Thursday, May 24, and ends Monday, May 28.
Featured photo courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.